• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

1970 Challenger Deputy, restoration, documentation, motivation

Backtobasics

Reaction score
Cliff Notes version:
1970 Challenger Deputy. Owned 15 years. Bought as investment, best car I could afford back when I had extra money. Hauled from house to house.
I want to upgrade to a Cummins from my gas truck, and want to have the funds to finish my long term keeper, 1976 Dart Lite. For me to pull it off the Diesel, and $$ for Dart, I need to sell the Challenger.

Currently 440 / 727 / 8.75 with 3.23(if memory serves)

There have been several "restoration attempts" from my youth. Along the way, parts were lost (most notably fender tag) but overall the body is solid, floors solid, only some rust repair (I drove as daily driver for first 4 years) and repair around window channel (someone siliconed around windows, causing rust)

First goal, strip body down. Then rust repair. Then base coat clear coat, with a good hi impact color. Basic refresh on engine and transmission, detail, and let the next owner finish to their liking.
New Year's Day progress.

Challengerpassside2.jpg

ChallengerPassside.jpg

Last edited:

Backtobasics

Reaction score
Sorry 'bout the pictures, they are shrunk down in my photobucket account, but I can't get them smaller here.

CoronetRTguy

Reaction score
Do you have the build sheet?

Also why are you calling it a Challenger Deputy?

How about some pictures of the rear window area?

The car looks like a good starter from the pictures and one that would make a great Vanishing Point car or restore.

Good luck.

DetMatt1

Reaction score

The car looks like a good starter from the pictures and one that would make a great Vanishing Point car or restore.

Good luck.
I think the "Deputy" was a special order trim package, I'm doing some research on it now. I have definitely seen them before, I'll post more info when I find it.f

quapman

Reaction score
The A93 Deputy package was simply a coupe. The rear windows are fixed. It was a stripped down model, made to be more affordable.

Mopar should have just made these cars JH21's as opposed to making them an A-code thing.

Backtobasics

Reaction score

Good luck.

Coming soon. I have to "unclutter" it right now, wife (and I, shhh) think it is a shelf.

I think the "Deputy" was a special order trim package, I'm doing some research on it now. I have definitely seen them before, I'll post more info when I find it.

Correct, as I understand it, a low cost version. This one was /6 auto, manual steering and brakes.

The A93 Deputy package was simply a coupe. The rear windows are fixed. It was a stripped down model, made to be more affordable.

Mopar should have just made these cars JH21's as opposed to making them an A-code thing.

Yup. I wish I had the fender tag to back it up, but it is lost (unless I uncover it when I clean it out).

DetMatt1

Reaction score
I was thinking the "deputies" I had seen were all 6 shooters. Nice car, good luck with it.

1969gts340

Reaction score
The Deputy package was a stripped down model with a 383 2bbl carb. Only avail in automatic, rear windows didn't go down. Mine had bucket seats with automatic on the column.

challenger6pak

Reaction score
The deputy package was a stripped down Challenger with any available engine and transmission that was available in a non R/T Challenger. That includes the 330 hp 383 N code 4 speed that is in my deputy. I believe 3 were made this way. Most are 6 cyl cars. They had 70 low line Barracuda seats (bench or bucket), a coachman grain 3 spoke steering wheel, standard outside drivers door mirror, 2 speed wipers, and fixed rear windows. The dash is the standard ribbed dash that was used in 1970.I don't believe any were undercoated. I'm not sure on the undercoat. Dual horns, day/night mirror and cigar lighter were optional. I may be forgetting a couple of things. It was available in 71 and called the coupe. Standard items and options were slightly different in 71. Mine has 14 inch body colored steel wheels with red circle caps, heater delete, and manual steering. It is a single engine belt 383. Mine needs a restoration. It is the car in my avatar pic.

Last edited:

challenger6pak

Reaction score
If you are asking me, no it is not for sale. It is stored at a family members garage over 1000 miles away.

Back