• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

1970 Challenger - Gator Grain usage?

Maxy426

Reaction score
Toying with the idea of going with a Gator Grain top on my 70 R/T....
Go Mango car and running rear window louvres... thoughts?
I would really appreciate some pics if anyone has any …..

Merry Christmas to everyone - be safe!

EV2RTSE

Reaction score
I think it would look great. Not my car but here are some pics of a factory 440-6 shaker gator grain car.

gatorgrainrt3.jpg

gatorgrainrt4.jpg

Maxy426

Reaction score
thanks EV2RTSE, colors work ok, just not sure about the rear window louvres on top?

Maxy426

Reaction score
I am running black interior , stripes, go wing, shaker....

Maxy426

Reaction score
Nice ride.....

Looking for good pics , close up if poss, of Gator Grain with factory louvres....
I like Gator Grain but love my orig louvres more - need to be sure they will go together....
if not I will go back to Boar Grain...

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
I actually prefer them without the vinyl roof , white with black stripes etc looks awesome .
The Gator grain is not 100% black either , it has a greenish brown tint to it FYI .

EV2RTSE

Reaction score
I did some research and apparently you could only get a black vinyl top with louvers from the factory (or no vinyl top at all). So although you can never say never with these cars, it's very unlikely that any gator grain top cars were built with louvers.

Last edited:

70chall440

Reaction score
I did some research and apparently you could only get a black vinyl top with louvers from the factory (or no vinyl top at all). So although you can never say never with these cars, it's very unlikely that any gator grain top cars were built with louvers.

But not impossible... LOL if I have learned one thing in my 40+ years of messing with Mopars is NEVER SAY NEVER.... Mopar made more oddball cars that the other 2 (GM & Ford) combined I think (purely an opinion here). I remember my buddy buying a 73 (might have been a 72) black Challenger 318 AT with a green interior... ugly as sin but some chick bought it from him and loved it. Beauty is definitely in the eye of the beholder..

fasjac

Reaction score
Toying with the idea of going with a Gator Grain top on my 70 R/T....
Go Mango car and running rear window louvres... thoughts?
I would really appreciate some pics if anyone has any …..

Merry Christmas to everyone - be safe!
I say do it like you want. It’s yours for now, so.... enjoy. That is is if it not an all original car. JMO

MoparCarGuy

Reaction score
You are correct. Additionally, a 1970 or 1971 Cuda optioned with the factory Backlight window louver package (Option A67) required a black vinyl top as a must code, left and right color-keyed racing mirrors, and the rear window mouldings were blacked out.
1970-1971 Challengers with the similar louver package (Option A44) did not require the vinyl top but did receive the left and right color-keyed racing mirrors.
A lot of dealer-installed louvers showed up after this option became available due to popularity but the broadcast sheet/fender tag authenticates cars with this rare, factory package.

Factory Louvers on a 1970 E-body.jpg

71_Barracuda_Dealership Data Book page29.jpg

71_Barracuda Data Book Codes for BAcklight Louver Package A67.jpg

Challenger Brochure with Packages including A44 Back Window Louvers.jpg

383RT

Reaction score
Here’s a few pics of my ride to help with your decision on what style of top you want. No Boar grain but factory louvers!
Happy New Year everyone

31671D65-FE0A-4023-A60E-DBA449715D45.jpeg

AC58B61B-AABB-414B-B193-AAB8C9F0F03E.jpeg

99B31C1D-9316-4D45-A582-C66F006793CF.jpeg

383RT

Reaction score
Sorry. Meant to say no Gator grain. My top is of course Boar grain.

Back