• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

1970 Challenger Western Sport Special Trivia

Xcudame

Reaction score
As an owner off a 1970 Challenger Western Sport Special for 35+ years, I have read probably just about everything on these cars. Everyone is familiar with the A91 package contents, so no need to rehash them again. I have learned a couple things that makes sense. One, a lot of these WSS cars had AC. Well, they were marketed on the Southwest coast which can get pretty hot and muggy, so no surprise there. H51 was added to most of them. The second item I've deduced is engine options. Everyone knows 1,615 WSS were built. 145 slant six cars were built along with 1,066 318 cars. But the 381 cars with a 383 could be 4bbl or 2bbl. Plus we know most were built in the LA plant (5th letter "E" in the VIN) and the rest at Dodge Main (VIN fifth letter "B") once LA closed. So now some math. 1615 - (145 + 1066 + 381) = 23. Since no R/Ts or T/As were allowed to have the A91 option, that leaves the only other base Challenger engine option. So there were 23 A66 340 cars built as WSS. That explains why the 340 WSS pop up and there's fender tag proof on other threads of this site. They're the rarest WSS cars! The July 1992 issue of Mopar Collector's Guide had a nice article on Western Sport Specials. One last little bit of trivia. When the WSS cars were built, there was usually small groups built on the same day. Hope you enjoyed this.
XCUDAME (Randy)

Matt M

Reaction score
I did enjoy your information.
A very good friend of mine had a WSS car. It was Red and was a 340 Auto.

Xcudame

Reaction score
There was another thread on fender tags that got me thinking about my phone conversation years ago with Galen Govier. I distinctly remember him saying my WSS should have scat pack bees on the quarter windows. My didn't and doesn't now. Does anyone with a WSS have scat pack bees on their quarter windows? I wonder if the scat pack bee decals didn't stay on well?

Back