• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

New Join 1970 Challenger R/T 2 Door Hardtop 440 Magnum Automatic FC7

Jarhead71

Reaction score
Hey all,

I recently joined this forum after my buddy bought this 1970 Challenger R/T 2 Door Hardtop 440 Magnum Automatic FC7 Plum Crazy. Being a Pontiac guy most of my life owning a 69 GTO and 70 T/A, I didn't know much about MOPARs. This past two years I've been having a great time learning a lot about MOPARs while helping him restore a 70 Super Bee. Just went to the LA Spring Fling yesterday and had a great time! I'll be perusing the post and asking questions. I really appreciate all the great information and help with parts from the B Body and E body forums.

So here's the car. We think it was originally sold and driven around Riverside, CA area until 1978 when the previous owner bought it. Then it spent the rest of its life in the Sacramento, CA area. The previous owner passed too young back in 2004 and the car sat in his family's garage until now. At least that's the story we have and it appears to be true. The car lost its original engine at some point. It now has a 1972 440 HP block in it. The original tranny is there, but the rear end pumpkin was switched out for a 741. No broadcast sheet unfortunately, but the family had a picture of another car sitting next to it with magnum wheels on it. They had switched the magnums onto a newer car and put the newer cars wheels on the Challenger. I'm betting those were the original wheels. Hard to say, but the door sticker does show 14" wheels. I think those magnum wheels were put on another car that went to the salvage within the past few years. Hopefully someone saved the magnums from the crusher.

I haven't done any research on it yet but I wanted to know if magnum wheels had date codes and around what date of wheels would have been on this LA car built in Feb 1970.

If I understand the numbers correctly, there were 1,410 1970 Challenger R/T 440 Magnum Automatics produced. I wonder if anyone knows how many were LA cars.

JS23U0E131354
  • E86 - 440 V8 Single 4 Barrel Carburetor HP (8 Cylinder) 375 Horse Power
  • D32 - 3 Speed Automatic Transmission (A727)
  • J - Dodge Challenger
  • S - Special Price Class
  • 23 - 2 Door Hardtop
  • U - 440 V8 Single 4 Barrel Carburetor High Performance (8 Cylinder)
  • 0 - 1970 Model Year (F-Series)
  • E - Los Angeles, CA
  • 131354 - Sequential Number
  • FC7 - "Plum Crazy Metallic" in Dodge / "In-Violet Metallic" in Plymouth (HIGH IMPACT COLOR)
  • H - High Trim Grade
  • R - Leather Bucket Seats
  • X9 - Black (if H5/P5, cloth insert is Black & White)
  • 000 - Full Door Panel
  • 205 - Scheduled to be built February 1970 on the 05 day (10,000 Day Year Number is 3114)
  • 040515 - Vehicle Order Number (VON)
  • V1X - Full Vinyl Roof Black
  • A01 - Light Package = Ashtray Light, Glove Box Light, Trunk Light, Ignition Light w/ Time Delay, Map & Courtesy Light, Instrument Panel Flood Lamp w/ Time Delay, Headlight- On Warning Buzzer, Fender Mounted Turn Signal Indicators (Fender Turn Signals not included w/ RT or 340 Challengers).
  • A04 - Basic Group = Power Steering, Left Remote Control Mirror, Music Master Radio (any), 3 Speed Variable Wipers w/ Electric Washer and Deluxe Wheel Cover (expect 15" tires).
  • A62 - Rallye Instrument Cluster = Trip odometer, 150 MPH Speedo, Instrument Panel Woodgrain, Heater Control Flood Light, Tachometer, Clock, Fuel, Oil, Temperature Gauges, Ammeter and 3 Speed / Variable Wipers w/ Electric Washers
  • A63 - Challenger Molding Group A = Belt Molding, Front Splash Pan Scoop Molding, Cowl Molding, and Rear Astrotone Painted Applique.
  • B51 - Power Brakes
  • C16 - Console w/ Woodgrain (and Seat Belt holder in the back of the console)
  • C55 - Bucket Seats
  • G34 - Painted Driver Side Racing Mirror (Left) Remote Adjusting (None had right side unless G36 outside right painted was ordered)
  • H51 - Air Conditioning with Front Heater (Pushed F11 - 50 Amp Alternator, but R/T and 440 got 70 Amp)
  • J25 - 3 Speed Variable Wipers
  • J54 - Sports Hood
  • M21 - Drip Rail Moldings
  • M31 - Body Belt Moldings
  • N41 - Dual Exhaust
  • N42 - Bright Exhaust Tips
  • N85 - Tachometer
  • N95 - Evaporative Emission Control (CA Emissions)
  • R35 - 10-Watt Radio AM / FM Stereo
  • V1X - Full Vinyl Roof Black
  • V6W - White Longitudinal Sport Stripes (Vinyl Decal)
  • 26 - 26" Radiator
  • END - End of Sales Codes on Fender Tag

IMG_5759.jpg

IMG_5760.jpg

IMG_5762.jpg

IMG_5763.jpg

IMG_5764.jpg

IMG_5765.jpg

fasjac

Reaction score
Welcome to the site from Arkansas!
Very cool Challenger

moparlee

Reaction score
Welcome to the site from Michigan! The wheels will have a part number which will tell you the year.

What's your plan for the Challenger?

Jarhead71

Reaction score
Welcome to the site from Michigan! The wheels will have a part number which will tell you the year.

What's your plan for the Challenger?
Thanks. I'm not really sure. We currently have our hands full with a 70 Super Bee.

Challenger RTA

Reaction score
Welcome to FEBO. 69 GTO and 70 T/A,I would say you have good taste. Was the T/A white with blue stripe? Was the GTO a 400 with ram air? I think 69 had it. Then you got stung by a BEE.The venom changes you. And the FC7 makes you plum crazy. BEE aware some 70 parts are different then the other years.
welcome to febo - Copy.jpeg

Last edited:

Jarhead71

Reaction score
So, based on you comments the car is your buddy's and you are just helping him?
What are his plans?
Correct. I'm not really sure yet. Spending most of our time on the Super Bee. For now, just learning the e body and keeping an eye for parts. Hopefully we can get to it soon.

Jarhead71

Reaction score
Welcome to FEBO. 69 GTO and 70 T/A,I would say you have good taste. Was the T/A white with blue stripe? Was the GTO a 400 with ram air? I think 69 had it. Then you got stung by a BEE.The venom changes you. And the FC7 makes you plum crazy. BEE aware some 70 parts are different then the other years. View attachment 105671
Awesome! LOL. The GTO is just a standard 400 auto car that I've had since 1991. My first love. I've always wanted a Ram Air car so that's how I ended up with the T/A. I'd love to do a frame off resto on the Challenger, but it's not my car... Time will tell. It's going to be fun learning about it and cleaning it up.

IMG_5056.JPG

Challenger RTA

Reaction score
Nice pair. Just a hint: to be a mopar guy.There is no frame of restoration on a unitized body. We will keep that between ourselves, and nobody will know.

Bobby T

Reaction score
Welcome to the site from Thousand Oaks, CA! Looks like a nice high optioned 440 Challenger. Enjoy the process and Good Luck!!

Back