• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

1970 Cuda Soft Brakes

Challenger RTA

Reaction score
If that doesn't work.throw the tools up in the air and walk away.Get up the next morning and the air bubble will have worked there way though the master cylinder. Been there done that!

flohemi

Reaction score
Hi, I have seen something in your photos that's may be causing a problem. The rear shoes are on wrong, one shoe is longer then the other on purpose but they are on wrong, the short shoe is the primary shoe and belongs in th front on both sides. Your car has both short shoes on one side and both long shoes on the other side, that must be corrected and not that this matters but disc brake systems will pump up on the second pump when going down the street, that,s normal operation. Fix the rear shoes, sand them to remove the glaze and drums also and try again. Hope this helps, let me know how you make out. Dave

70chall440

Reaction score
Hi, I have seen something in your photos that's may be causing a problem. The rear shoes are on wrong, one shoe is longer then the other on purpose but they are on wrong, the short shoe is the primary shoe and belongs in th front on both sides. Your car has both short shoes on one side and both long shoes on the other side, that must be corrected and not that this matters but disc brake systems will pump up on the second pump when going down the street, that,s normal operation. Fix the rear shoes, sand them to remove the glaze and drums also and try again. Hope this helps, let me know how you make out. Dave
The shoes were already pointed out and I believe corrected.

70340Cuda

Reaction score
They have indeed been corrected, but I appreciate you pointing that out!

moparleo

Reaction score
Hi, Have you eliminated the master cylinder yet ? A new one is less than $50. for new. Never use rebuilts. Centric makes excellent brake products. Sold them for years in my shops. No issues, great value.

70340Cuda

Reaction score
I just got done rebleeding the MC and all four corners of the car again. I adjusted the pushrod again. I felt I measured it correctly the first time, but when I hit the pedal, my foot went straight to the floor. I rechecked my measurements and they seemed to be dead on, but I guess the pushrod needed to be further. After adjusting it to be longer I took the car for a test drive and it felt better. I gave the pushrod a bit more length after the test drive and now everything feels better than before. I jacked the car up and spun the front wheels with the wheels on the car. They don’t appear to be dragging.

To sum everything up, I feel all is well with the brakes now. The pedal feels firmer. I’m going to take it out for a longer drive once I address a few leaks elsewhere unrelated to the brakes. After then, I will give a final update.

I want to thank every single person that commented on this thread. Every opinion and suggestion was incredibly helpful. Even if it was the direct solution to the problem, it has made me much wiser. And for that, I thank you all.

Back