• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

1970 Dodge Challenger R/T Convertible

Reaction score
Hello Mopar-fans!
I would like to introduce me and my project to you.
My name is Leonard (call me Leo), I'm 14-years old and from Austria.
Last year in the end of October we made a weekend-trip to Vienna because my parents had tickets for a concert. So while they we're at the concert I was with my brother in the hotel.
(At that time I was dreaming about a project car. I liked the Corvette C3 like my father. But he wanted a four seater so we could go on trips together as a family.) I had nothing to do so I took my phone started searching for a project. I saw on the "Hagerty Redline Rebuild" series that there is a company named Copart. So I went on their website and looked what cars they had. And just by coincidence there was this Challenger.
When my parents were back we went to a restaurant and I showed my father the car. And he liked it! On the same day he bought it. I was so excited see it in person. After four months of shipping it finally arrived.
There isn't much to tell about the history. We tried to contact the last owners but they didn't want to tell anything about the car. We only know that they tried to sell it back in 2008 on an auction and it was on display at Carlisle in the same year. But then in summer 2022 it was in a fire (most probably in New Jersey) where the back half and the interior got demaged.
In the documentation was also a copy of the Broadcast Sheet a report from Galan's Tag Service.
The car ist all numbers matching with many options from the factory. We also found a Broadcast Sheet taped to the backside of the glovebox.
Our plan is to restore it to as original as possible so it's going to be a challenge to find all the parts.
I would appreciate any information about the history or help to find the correct parts.

IMG-20230207-WA0014.jpg

IMG-20230207-WA0008.jpg

IMG-20230207-WA0009.jpg

IMG-20221116-WA0006.jpg

IMG_20230422_163622.jpg

IMG_20230422_164058.jpg

IMG_20230422_163410.jpg

IMG_20230422_164816.jpg

IMG_20230422_165304.jpg

IMG_20230422_165237.jpg

Challenger RTA

Reaction score
Welcome to FEBO. As you said you have some searching for some hard to find parts. But it's a wise choice to come here. Other members here are well versed on parts.
welcome to febo - Copy.jpeg

moparlee

Reaction score
Welcome to the site from Michigan!
Looks pretty toasty, but at least the rest of the car looks to be in good shape. Are you going to do the restoration or take it to a shop?

Reaction score
Welcome to the site from Michigan!
Looks pretty toasty, but at least the rest of the car looks to be in good shape. Are you going to do the restoration or take it to a shop?
Hello!
It looks maybe very crusty but besides the passengerside inner/outer wheelhouse nothing hast rusted through. The quarters we're also poorly replaced. However all the structural parts are in very nice shape.
And yes we are going to restore it, as a father and son project.

jyrgen

Reaction score
Hello.

It's good to see that the right cars are being brought to europe. Greetings from Estonia

Jürgen

Bobby T

Reaction score
Hello Mopar-fans!
I would like to introduce me and my project to you.
My name is Leonard (call me Leo), I'm 14-years old and from Austria.
Last year in the end of October we made a weekend-trip to Vienna because my parents had tickets for a concert. So while they we're at the concert I was with my brother in the hotel.
(At that time I was dreaming about a project car. I liked the Corvette C3 like my father. But he wanted a four seater so we could go on trips together as a family.) I had nothing to do so I took my phone started searching for a project. I saw on the "Hagerty Redline Rebuild" series that there is a company named Copart. So I went on their website and looked what cars they had. And just by coincidence there was this Challenger.
When my parents were back we went to a restaurant and I showed my father the car. And he liked it! On the same day he bought it. I was so excited see it in person. After four months of shipping it finally arrived.
There isn't much to tell about the history. We tried to contact the last owners but they didn't want to tell anything about the car. We only know that they tried to sell it back in 2008 on an auction and it was on display at Carlisle in the same year. But then in summer 2022 it was in a fire (most probably in New Jersey) where the back half and the interior got demaged.
In the documentation was also a copy of the Broadcast Sheet a report from Galan's Tag Service.
The car ist all numbers matching with many options from the factory. We also found a Broadcast Sheet taped to the backside of the glovebox.
Our plan is to restore it to as original as possible so it's going to be a challenge to find all the parts.
I would appreciate any information about the history or help to find the correct parts.

View attachment 112068

View attachment 112069

View attachment 112070

View attachment 112071

View attachment 112072

View attachment 112073

View attachment 112074

View attachment 112075

View attachment 112076

View attachment 112077
Hi Leo, and welcome to the forum.

Nice car!! What a shame with the fire and all. I have a few things that can help you get this car going:

1) original rust free trunk lid, already primed and ready for paint.

2) complete set of original taillight and reverse light bezels. I also have a good set of red lenses. Not sure about the reverse lens.

3) original automatic 70 console. No cracks.

4) Original 3 speaker dash with AC and no cracks. This part is very special. I have not seen a nicer original 70 Challenger dash, ever. It’s the biggest part of the interior. Front and center. I’ve had it in garage for over 40 years. I wish I could use it. Much nicer than the remanufactured dashes.

5) Original am/fm thumb wheel stereo.

6) Restored original rim blow steering wheel. Looks like new.

I’ll be back home next week. If you’re interested, let me know.

Bobby T

Reaction score
Hi Leo, and welcome to the forum.

Nice car!! What a shame with the fire and all. I have a few things that can help you get this car going:

1) original rust free trunk lid, already primed and ready for paint.

2) complete set of original taillight and reverse light bezels. I also have a good set of red lenses. Not sure about the reverse lens.

3) original automatic 70 console. No cracks.

4) Original 3 speaker dash with AC and no cracks. This part is very special. I have not seen a nicer original 70 Challenger dash, ever. It’s the biggest part of the interior. Front and center. I’ve had it in garage for over 40 years. I wish I could use it. Much nicer than the remanufactured dashes.

5) Original am/fm thumb wheel stereo.

6) Restored original rim blow steering wheel. Looks like new.

I’ll be back home next week. If you’re interested, let me know.

Bobby T
Hello Bobby T!
I'm really interested in the parts you mentioned! So could you please PM me some pictures and the prices to [email protected] .
Thank you in advance,
Leo

fasjac

Reaction score
Welcome Leo!
Looks like great project. I love the verts

Reaction score
Since it has been a while since I have posted something. It's the perfect opportunity now, because we took our dash out of our Challenger this sunday. It seams that it was unrestored with no cracks. Just like the interior panels. In the doorpanels we have found some assembly-line markings and date codes on the cardboard from the carpet pieces.
Overall it's pretty original. There are some things that were changed, like the quarter panels which came from a car with the V5 body side moldings. The radio + speakers were unfortunately also exchanged for an aftermarket one. The previous owners made also some changes in the engine compartment. Like headers, an aftermarket Holley carburator, aftermarket valve covers and a new starter.
Here are some pictures of the current progress:

IMG_20231001_164234.jpg

PA085555.jpg

PA085556.jpg

IMG_20231008_182051.jpg

IMG_20231008_182057.jpg

PA085469.jpg

Reaction score
Thank you!
I'm also very happy about that.
It's very interesting when you find something like that and then think about how it survived over 50 years. How did nobody take it out?

Cuda Hunter

Reaction score
Make a few copies of that sheet and place them back into the seats and on the glove box for the next father and son to find in 50 years.
It looks like someone pulled the bottom half off while it was in place, trying to get it all.

Reaction score
Actually there was a copy of the Broadcast Sheet in the documentation that came with the car. On the copy it seams to be in a great shape, no markings, no imprint from the seatsprings or tear offs.

Reaction score
Even better.
Does your copy match the glove box sheet?
Did you happen to get the original?
Everything matched except row 3. I was already wondering why there where other numbers in the report from Galen in comparison to the copy.
I don't have the original one. I hope to find it in the front seats.

Back