• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

1971 Challenger Convertible

Plowman

Reaction score
Looking for info on a 1971 challenger convertible 383 high performance, shaker hood, four speed non-RT. How many made and where that info is located. Thanks for your help

FY1TopBanana

Reaction score
You have seen such a fender tag/build sheet?
A non-RT with N96 would be an oddity: either 70 or 71 although in 71 theoretically they were clear of the underbrace crashworthy issue. In a vert - really obscure.
In prod numbers from the data that I have (Ganat, others) the non-RT V8s are lumped. So in non-RT V8 the 318, 340, and 383 2 bbl and hipo variants would be lumped.
As you describe the car it would be VERY low to single-digit production in 71.

Last edited:

FY1TopBanana

Reaction score
A non-RT with N96 would be an oddity: either 70 or 71 although in 71 theoretically they were clear of the underbrace crashworthy issue. In a vert - really obscure.
In prod numbers from the day that I have (Ganat, others) the non-RT V8s are lumped. So in non-RT V8 the 318, 340, and 383 2 bbl and hipo variants would be lumped.
A Hemmings article on a 71 with a 340 and N96 from Jan 2021 states:
"The next week I went to the Mopar Nationals and asked the judges about this car. They were all intrigued by my find and one told me that they only made 72 non-R/T Shakers in 1971 [including 340 and 383 engines].

terrywalker

Reaction score
I have a 340 convertible 71 Challenger with Shaker and have seen a couple more and one 383 convertible 71 Challenger shaker. All 71 convertibles are non-R/Ts.
Terry W.

Fender Tag (Medium).jpg

71 Vert Window Stkr 001.jpg

Broadcast Sheet 1971 Convertible.jpeg

Last edited:

Plowman

Reaction score
In prod numbers from the data that I have (Ganat, others) the non-RT V8s are lumped. So in non-RT V8 the 318, 340, and 383 2 bbl and hipo variants would be lumped.
I have it at 11

CD262AD8-6292-4832-A0F2-3AB8CBFADB60.jpeg

DetMatt1

Reaction score
I’m sure most know but there were no JS27 cars at all in ‘71 so all verts were non R/T.

MarkLevi

Reaction score
Pictures, please, good sir! :cool:

Mine may wind up a shaker some day - but it sure didn't leave the factory that way!

Plowman

Reaction score
Pictures, please, good sir! :cool:

Mine may wind up a shaker some day - but it sure didn't leave the factory that way!
I help Gilmore Car Museum with their muscle car display and is not mine so I will not post a picture without permission from the owner. sorry

MarkLevi

Reaction score
All good. I found a video with it on Youtube. V2 Hemi Orange with a white interior and a silver shaker bubble?

Thanks
Mark

DetMatt1

Reaction score
I see zero proof that that’s a ‘71 JS27 car. They just plain didn’t make even 1. Somehow Hollywood got Chrysler to do some strange things in those years. Are you going to show me the clip with a ‘72 Challenger vert and say maybe Chrysler made a few early ones? That’s slightly different I know but it’s also not.

831 HQT

Reaction score
I see zero proof that that’s a ‘71 JS27 car. They just plain didn’t make even 1. Somehow Hollywood got Chrysler to do some strange things in those years. Are you going to show me the clip with a ‘72 Challenger vert and say maybe Chrysler made a few early ones? That’s slightly different I know but it’s also not.
Yes, of course, the picture doesn't proof it's a '71 JS27 car.
But unless we see that car's VIN / Fender tag we just can't tell, right?

To say it with the words of the canadian guy:
'Makes you wonder whether Chrysler slipped a few R/T convertibles out the door in '71 before pulling their availability?'

The '72 E-Body verts is a different story. It's clearly proven that those are the very early '71 models already available to the studios, simply converted to look like '72 models.

Back