• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

1971 Gran Coupe Assembly Sequence

Tom Berkebile

Reaction score
Does anyone know where I can find the Hamtramck (or any) build sequence for a 1971 Gran Coupe Barracuda? Mine is coming back from paint in a couple weeks.

I tore it apart in 1993. I sure didn't take it apart in reverse order but I'd like to assemble it correctly so I don't have to take parts out that I've already installed 10 times.
I didn't like how the Curious Yellow turned out. It wasn't green enough, like I've seen in some pictures. It would barely turn green in the shade. I needed the front end painted to complete the car so I sent it back to try again with both a different paint brand and I added just a bit more "green" to it. I also learned part of the problem is the base / clear, paint process. It turned out, clear coat messes with the paint prism and makes it difficult to reflect. So this time we're adding a bit of paint to the clear coat. I don't have those pictures yet. The attached are where this car is coming back from. Darn NW Ohio and salt. I've had the car since '80 and it rusted off the wheels. The whole back of the car wasn't worth saving past the turtle deck. Floors were Swiss cheese. The lower cowling was almost completely gone and the upper had holes in the corners. Saved the A & B pillars, doors, hood, roof, turtle deck and front frame rails. I'm changing my 72 to mostly a 71, so everything else...went out to scrap. I'm finally using my GC parts that I've held onto since '79.

DSC_0926.JPG

Barracuda 9.JPG

DSC_0845.JPG

DSC_1626.JPG

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
I have always started with fuel & brake lines
then the fuel tank & rear suspension & diff .
I also install the pedals insulation & dash frame .
At front end I install the upper control arms & spindles & front light wiring harness , wiper motor & linkage & complete most of the engine bay area including brake booster & master .
Then drop the whole body down on the engine , trans , K frame & lower controls arms . This way the engine , trans , lower front suspension & engine with wiring can be virtually complete before going in .
Once in place the T bars & driveshaft can be installed as well as the front shocks .
At this point the whole underside of the car & most of the engine compartment is complete , just install the rad , fan & shroud , steering column & plug in the engin wiring wiring .
Now you can finish the outer trim , bumpers lights etc , install the windows & complete the interior last .

Tom Berkebile

Reaction score
Thanks Mr. Psycho :cool:. I'll start with this list. I don't have a good way to drop the body down on to the K-frame. I'll likely have to drop the engine in from the top and hope to keep it off the paint. I have 8' ceilings and a chain fall on a track. I may be able to rig something to lift the front of the car and "skid" the assembly under. When the time comes, it will be an interesting couple of days.
I'd still like to get a plant order of assembly if one exists.

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
I have restored many cars , this sequence works , I used snowmobile pads with castors to move the K frame , engine & trans under the car , with the rear suspension & diff in place & jack stands under the front leaf spring eye I was always able to lift the front of the car by hand using my legs , block it up with a jack stand & roll the k frame under , no fancy tools .

Tom Berkebile

Reaction score
I have plans for Billboard stripes and black vinyl top. I wanted purple but black doesn't have enough contrast from Plum Crazy and a white billboard with white vinyl top turned the whole back of the car white. So I went with Curious Yellow.

Back