• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

1972 challenger raidiator?

72Dodgeboy

Reaction score
challenger with a small block,about 375 hp, aluminium heads and ceramic coated headers, temp is around 190 degrees while driving,it runs very hot on idle,I have a aluminum 3 core raidiator ,don't know the name but I got off ebay for 160.00,so its probably not the best,also no fan shroud,what are you guys using for raidiator?

DetMatt1

Reaction score
They worked very well when they left the factory with the proper shroud, hood to cowl seal and fan so that’s how I prefer them.

moparlee

Reaction score
Are you running a 22 or 26" rad? Should be a 26" and like Matt said, get yourself a shroud and hood seal.

72Dodgeboy

Reaction score
Are you running a 22 or 26" rad? Should be a 26" and like Matt said, get yourself a shroud and hood seal.
I run a 22" 3 core ,but will go with the 26" and put a fan shroud on to.,thanks for the advice.

CCKen

FEBO Vendor
FEBO Vendor
Reaction score
challenger with a small block,about 375 hp, aluminium heads and ceramic coated headers, temp is around 190 degrees while driving,it runs very hot on idle,I have a aluminum 3 core raidiator ,don't know the name but I got off ebay for 160.00,so its probably not the best,also no fan shroud,what are you guys using for raidiator?
What temp thermostat are you running?

Ccas

FEBO Vendor
FEBO Vendor
Reaction score
26" big 2 row, OEM fan shroud, clutch, AC fan, 180 t-stat. Problem will be solved guaranteed.

A normal car should be able to run fine with the 3 row aluminum and you can try and get away with a big 22" 2 row but why mess with it. for the little bit extra, you are guaranteed to never have to deal with overheating again.

Buckminster

Reaction score
I believe I have the same radiator you do. I purchased a 3 row 26" radiator from Champion. I was blown away by the quality for the price. I have a 340 that is pretty built, so I'm also generating some heat. I originally had the same problem you do with the stock radiator. Adding the seals around the core support helps direct the air through the radiator where it belongs, but a good shroud and fan is also a necessity. I built my fan shroud out of aluminum and used a single 16" fan. I also have an electric switch that turns the fan on at 185 and the car has a 180 degree thermostat. No issues since adding the Champion radiator, seals, shroud and fan. You will need to add more fan capacity if you want to install AC. the stock setup draws more air, but also uses HP.

72Dodgeboy

Reaction score
Ran in to a problem,I want to go with 26 " radiator but the opening is only 22 1/2" , what should I do.

20200303_163533_HDR.jpg

20200303_163657_HDR.jpg

Ccas

FEBO Vendor
FEBO Vendor
Reaction score
ah! Now you have a decision to make. What's more important....keeping your car original and not messing with cutting up the radiator support or is cooling the car more important.

My opinion is that the car looks pretty original, stay with a 22" unit, add a clutch, shroud and AC fan. If that helps but still leaves you a little short, then swap the existing 3 row for a bigger volume 22" radiator.

You'll be able to re-use the fan, shroud and clutch by going this route even if you swap radiators down the road.

Mastertech

Reaction score
My 72 had a 22" but I replaced it with a 26" with the factory shroud by removing the filler plate on one side of the rad. The actual opening was originally designed to allow for the 26 for big blocks. Shroud, seals and seven bladed thermostatic fan allowed a 185 thermostat with no problems at idle or slow speed.

challenger512

Reaction score
Hello. I also have the same problem as in this post. I am rebulding like adviced in this post with 26 inch radiador from cold case and shroud. I am also adding a oil cooler. I have the clutch fan. My motor is a 440-512 stroker. trick flow heads and steeel headers- not cheramic.
i have 2 qustion.
1 Wath is hood to cowl seal.
2 Adding the seals around the core support

moparlee

Reaction score
Hello. I also have the same problem as in this post. I am rebulding like adviced in this post with 26 inch radiador from cold case and shroud. I am also adding a oil cooler. I have the clutch fan. My motor is a 440-512 stroker. trick flow heads and steeel headers- not cheramic.
i have 2 qustion.
1 Wath is hood to cowl seal.
2 Adding the seals around the core support
Hood to radiator support seal from DMT.
Mopar E Body 70-71 Barracuda, Challenger Hood to Radiator Seal with SS Clips

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
Are you going to use a clutch fan as well , they really help , especially over the fan you had in there

Back