• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

1973 Challenger Original Engine Identification

Greatness 903

Reaction score
Hello,

I just bought a 73 challenger and I don't have the VIN for the car or the fender tag on it and I want to figure out if it originally came with a 318 or a 340. The car currently has no engine or transmission in it, so I was wondering if there is anything specific that would be able to determine what the car came with.

Thank You

Greatness 903

Reaction score
Dual exhaust mounts , 318 is single 340 is dual
Is this the bracket that the exhaust mount bolts to? This is on the passenger side of the car at the back of the trunk pan and this is the only one. The driver's side doesn't have the two holes drilled in it where this bracket would be

Attachments

• ChallengerBracket.JPG
    ChallengerBracket.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 85

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
Often the drivers bracket is different but there would be 2 hangars near the fuel tank / rear valence also.
If there is nothing on the drivers side probably a 318 car

Greatness 903

Reaction score
Often the drivers bracket is different but there would be 2 hangars near the fuel tank / rear valence also.
If there is nothing on the drivers side probably a 318 car
The rear valance and the fuel tank have been removed out of the car before I bought it, and the only brackets that I can see are the tie-down brackets on the frame rails and the one I mentioned before in the trunk floor. The second picture is the trunk floor on the inside of the frame rail on the driver's side where it meets up with the rear cross rail.

Attachments

• Challenger2.JPG
    Challenger2.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 106
  • Challenger3.JPG
    Challenger3.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 91

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
Somewhat hard to tell but I don't see a bracket on the floor pan on the drivers side .

57fury440

Reaction score
Is this car pretty striped down? I take it there is no dash or interior. Build sheets were under seats, rugs and over glove compartments. I take it you have none of these parts to look for it. What about the sticker on the door? Does the car have a partial V.I.N. on the cowl? The exhaust hanger is a good way to try and track down which engine, but this car is almost 50 years old. That part could have been added even if you find it there. If it is not there, then it is a good chance it is a 318 car.

Greatness 903

Reaction score
Is this car pretty striped down? I take it there is no dash or interior. Build sheets were under seats, rugs and over glove compartments. I take it you have none of these parts to look for it. What about the sticker on the door? Does the car have a partial V.I.N. on the cowl? The exhaust hanger is a good way to try and track down which engine, but this car is almost 50 years old. That part could have been added even if you find it there. If it is not there, then it is a good chance it is a 318 car.
The build sheet is long gone on the car there is nothing left of the interior and the car also has no doors to take the VIN from either, the numbers are still on the cowl and on the radiator support which is how if figured out the last half of the VIN but it still doesn't tell me what engine it originally came with. I found an original brochure online for it https://www.lov2xlr8.no/brochures/mopar/73chall/bilder/4.jpg and under the rallye suspension option it states that the 340 comes standard with a rear sway bar which my car doesn't have, and it doesn't have the mounts for one either, so would that be a good indicator or am I just reading it wrong?

Challenger RTA

Reaction score
As someone pointed out ,Vin on the radiator support or cowl? picture of driver side exhaust bracket. is it there?

20170908_191928.jpg

Last edited:
Back