• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

1973 Cuda 340 overheating

73-Cudah2

Reaction score
I think it's the water pump because the lower hose is not even warm. I am replacing all the hoses and rebuilding the heater core box. Replacing the heater core because it was leaking that was bypassed. The problem is looking for an OEM heater core fan motor, I found one on "Parts Geek" but the issue was the part pictured was not the part they sent! Note that the fan motor they send is not OEM and does not work without modifications.
1) The wires on the fan motor are on the end near the engine ( should be on the shaft end to tuck under firewall foam ).
2) That diameter of the motor is smaller than OEM ( gasket is not tight around motor )
3) The shaft is longer and the flat key cut into the shaft is not cut down to the motor so your fan wheel cage hits inside the heater core
box and will not spin when you put it together. ( You have to grind down the shaft key flat to the motor to make it fit )

I think "Parts Geek" should remove this part that tells you it fits 1970 -1974 Cuda. Yeah it does if you modify the heck out of it.
Hope this helps!

IMG_4017 - Copy1.jpg

IMG_4025 - Copy1.jpg

IMG_4036 - Copy1.jpg

IMG_4041 - Copy2.jpg

Last edited:

73-Cudah2

Reaction score
Thanks I will check that! I will also flush the system before hooking up the heater core.

cuda joe

Reaction score
do a thermostat too a good one the cheep ones you get what you pay for

Xcudame

Reaction score
It's possible as well that the water pump propellors have rusted away! With these cars being 50 years old, all kinds of crazy things happen. A good coolant system flush including draining the block, may solve your problems.

Back