• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

1974 Cuda to 1971 Rear Bumper Conversion

Cuda 440-6

Reaction score
Hi guys, I'm a fairly new E-Body forum member and have referenced many of your threads as I restore my '74 Barracuda. Like many have done before me, I've decided to ditch the ugly protruding '74 style Rear Bumper in favor of a cleaner looking '71-'72 style Rear Bumper.

I bought a '71-'72 Rear Bumper with Jack Slots and '70-'72 Rear Bumper Brackets. As you can see by my pictures, the Bumper won't get any closer to the body and I have large gaps. It sits higher than it should and there's a lot of space between the Bumper and Rear Valance as a result.

The Rear Bumper Brackets I purchased from AMD are PN 970-1570-S and are stamped with the Mopar PN 2962306R and 307L. According to "moparman31" microfiche research info, these may be the incorrect Brackets (Challenger) and should actually be PN 2768604R and 605L Brackets (Cuda). I've checked the '72 Car parts Catalog however and it states they should be PN 2962306R and 307L like I have for the "B" model car?

AMD was also not able to confirm the cross reference of their PN 970-1570-S Brackets with the Mopar PN 2962306R?

The car did have a fair amount of body work done at a shop, with a lot of my own help, which included new Rear Quarters and a Tail Panel, but I don't recall replacing the Rear Crossmember and it appears to be welded correctly to the end of the rear frame rails.

Does anyone have any ideas on what the issue might be?

Thank you.

Cuda Rear Bumper & Valance Pic #6.jpg
AMD Barracuda '70-'72 Rear Bracket PN 970-1570-S Pic #8.jpgCuda Rear Bumper & Brackets Pic #1.jpgCuda Rear Bumper Brackets Left Pic #2.jpgCuda Rear Bumper Brackets Left Pic #2.jpgCuda Rear Bumper Brackets Right Pic #3.jpgCuda Rear Bumper Left Gap Pic #4.jpgCuda Rear Bumper Left Gap Pic #6.jpgCuda Rear Bumper Right Gap Pic #5.jpgMopar (AMD) Barracuda '70-'72 Rear Bracket PN 2962307-L and 306-R Pic #10.jpg

1974 Cuda in Primer.jpg

fasjac

Reaction score
I did the same with my 73. I used 70 brackets (which may be the same for 71) and also used elastomeric bumpers. It appears the brackets are incorrect. I’d research the part numbers. Purchased my brackets from Yearone many years ago.

Attachments

• 8E536F11-FDA3-4DC2-BDB0-088B63612793.jpeg
    8E536F11-FDA3-4DC2-BDB0-088B63612793.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 370

70chall440

Reaction score
Actually those look pretty close to how they were originally. None of them sat close to the body, if you want that look you need to slice and weld the bracket to achieve the look you want.

Cuda 440-6

Reaction score
I was kinda coming to the conclusion I was going to have to cut and weld the brackets. The rear bumper picture "fasjac" shared sits a lot closer in than mine and I've seen quite a few Cuda's that are pulled in quite a bit tighter as well. Could my Cross member be sitting out farther and higher than it should be?

BTW, Year One, Classic Industries, and AMD all have the exact same Bracket PN for '70-'72 as what I have.

Do you have any tips on how much and at what angle to cut the brackets down in order for it to tuck in better and sit down to close the Valance & Bumperette hole gaps?

70chall440

Reaction score
Not really, its kind of a individual car deal meaning you have to really mock it up and come up with a plan and then execute. The rear is relatively easy but the front is a completely different matter. I worked for a week at least to get my bumpers tucked where I wanted them on my Cuda and I chopped the crap out of the brackets.

I know people say "use the earlier brackets" like that is going to bring them in tight but the realty is that even the earlier bumpers had a gap. To be very honest, if I were to do it again I would probably just dispense with the stock brackets all together and make something custom.

IMG_2792.JPG
IMG_0131.JPG

fasjac

Reaction score
I will say the brackets on mine were not modified in anyway. Maybe it appears tighter due the the elasto bumpers. I may have some older pics with a chrome bumper but, from memory it looked like 70chall440’s does. As this was one of the first changes I made to the body.

70chall440

Reaction score
When I did my Cuda I had brackets from a variety of years to include 70, 72 and 73. None of the brackets brought the bumpers in real tight, the early brackets did get the bumpers closer but not what I was looking for.

fasjac

Reaction score
Not really, its kind of a individual car deal meaning you have to really mock it up and come up with a plan and then execute. The rear is relatively easy but the front is a completely different matter. I worked for a week at least to get my bumpers tucked where I wanted them on my Cuda and I chopped the crap out of the brackets.

I know people say "use the earlier brackets" like that is going to bring them in tight but the realty is that even the earlier bumpers had a gap. To be very honest, if I were to do it again I would probably just dispense with the stock brackets all together and make something custom.

View attachment 84742View attachment 84743
Yours looks great. I think the difference is thickness of coated bumpers on mine. And obviously hangs over the quarters 1/8” or so.

Cuda 440-6

Reaction score
Based on your guys great input and comments, I plan to start with the rear Brackets and a "tuck-in" mock-up process. My plan is to first drill some new elongated holes in the Brackets above the existing holes to drop the Bracket down some to hopefully clear the Quarter Panel lower corners. Once I see how the Bracket sits, I will measure my angles and Bumper mounting distances, then cut some metal out of the Brackets and tack weld them to see how things fit. After I'm happy with the fit, I'll fully weld the Brackets back up. I have an second set of new Brackets in case I screw it up! (LOL) I will post a couple pictures of the process and final project when I finish . .

masic

Reaction score
Hi guys, I'm a fairly new E-Body forum member and have referenced many of your threads as I restore my '74 Barracuda. Like many have done before me, I've decided to ditch the ugly protruding '74 style Rear Bumper in favor of a cleaner looking '71-'72 style Rear Bumper.

I bought a '71-'72 Rear Bumper with Jack Slots and '70-'72 Rear Bumper Brackets. As you can see by my pictures, the Bumper won't get any closer to the body and I have large gaps. It sits higher than it should and there's a lot of space between the Bumper and Rear Valance as a result.

The Rear Bumper Brackets I purchased from AMD are PN 970-1570-S and are stamped with the Mopar PN 2962306R and 307L. According to "moparman31" microfiche research info, these may be the incorrect Brackets (Challenger) and should actually be PN 2768604R and 605L Brackets (Cuda). I've checked the '72 Car parts Catalog however and it states they should be PN 2962306R and 307L like I have for the "B" model car?

AMD was also not able to confirm the cross reference of their PN 970-1570-S Brackets with the Mopar PN 2962306R?

The car did have a fair amount of body work done at a shop, with a lot of my own help, which included new Rear Quarters and a Tail Panel, but I don't recall replacing the Rear Crossmember and it appears to be welded correctly to the end of the rear frame rails.

Does anyone have any ideas on what the issue might be?

Thank you.

View attachment 84726View attachment 84727View attachment 84728View attachment 84729View attachment 84729View attachment 84730View attachment 84731View attachment 84732View attachment 84733View attachment 84734

View attachment 84735
I saw this bumper job on a 74 barracuda, doesn't look too good as is.
1667256274838.png

Back