• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

3 quarts of oil in a 340?

crazyhawk

Reaction score
Never thought I'd have to ask this question but.... When I change the oil in my Challenger with a 340, after I put 3 quarts in it, the dipstick reads full. I know the new filter I'm using is smaller than they use to be and I lose some volume there but it has a stock oil pan and 21" dipstick. What's going on? It's bored .030 over with a slightly bigger cam but other than that it's stock and is the numbers matching engine. Any comments would be appreciated.

101_8787.JPG

Reaction score
My memory is bad, but I'm sure my 70 340 took 5 litres of oil. Maybe even 5.5. I'll look in my 70 service manual to find out for sure, and let you know.
Are you sure the dip stick is correct? Maybe when the engine was redone the wrong dip stick tube was installed?
Was the same oil pan used?
There is probably a simple answer.
Ken

IRON MAN

Reaction score
Yep. Owner's manual says 4 qts engine oil; add 1 qt with filter change. Page 57.

moparleo

Reaction score
So you need to remark your dipstick. Drain oil, put 5 qts. in. Start engine run until it reaches normal operating temp, and then shut it off. Wait a few minutes and then check oil level on stick. Make a notch on the stick at the full mark. Done. Or get a universal dipstick and do the same thing.

crazyhawk

Reaction score
Thanks everyone. Yes, there must be something amiss. I had engine rebuilt last year and obviously, they made an error or changed a part somewhere. I'll really try to investigate it. Thanks again!!!

Back