• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

340 six pack engine drop in question

flamesoldier

Reaction score
How do most of the guys with 340 six packs drop in there motor since you cant use a traditional 4 barrel engine hoist lift plate, do they use the cylinder head threaded holes on faces?

benguin

Reaction score
It's been a while, but I think I used a stout chain with the fore and aft holes on the cylinder heads where the battery ground is located. No issues, but I was pretty gentle with it.

flamesoldier

Reaction score
It's been a while, but I think I used a stout chain with the fore and aft holes on the cylinder heads where the battery ground is located. No issues, but I was pretty gentle with it.
Yeah thats what i am planning to do

TIMINATOR

Reaction score
I have helicoiled and welded a lot of aluminum manifolds, and other than water corrosion repair, the number 1 cause for repair is folks using a carb plate to install an engine and stripping out carb bolt holes or ripping part of the boss off. As commented by an ex Detroit design guy, "manifold bolts are designed for attaching a 3 pound carburetor to the engine, not lifting a 500+ engine."
It will work if everything goes correctly, as in using fasteners that go to the entire depth of the threads and are tightened correctly. Lots of used manifolds have shorter fasteners used to attach the carb and stretched the top several threads so that the new fastener won't go to the bottom threads. Retap them to the bottom. Also on some aftermarket manifolds, the threads aren't very deep to begin with, measure the depth, and drill and tap those deeper.
I still recommend lifting by the end accessory holes, and install the bolts to full depth of the threads in those too.
TIMINATOR

Back