• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

340 six pack setup help

topbanna70

Reaction score
So I have rebuilt my six pack and have them installed and have the car running but as its running once it gets to operating temps it gets a backfire in the exhaust and the guy who rebuilt them said that sounds like a valve issue im trying to find someone to adjust the rockers but im wondering if anyone on here knows what a 340 should be set to any help would be greatly appreciated.

rklein71

Reaction score
Check the spark plug wires, you can run the engine in the dark, you will see sparks if the plug wires are bad. This can cause backfiring as well. Easy test.

rklein71

Reaction score
Bad spark plug?, I ran a six pack for 25 years in my 69 Barracuda and any backfiring I had was always ignition related. Make sure you have a good ground from the engine to the body as well. No ground really plays havoc with electronic ignitions.

topbanna70

Reaction score
The plugs are brand new ngk's I think it may be valve related cause it's not a big backfire it's more of a muffled sound

rklein71

Reaction score
Could be valve related....just suggesting things to look at that are a little easier.

rklein71

Reaction score
See attachment

Capture2.PNG

topbanna70

Reaction score
Thank you now I just have to find someone who has messed with adjustable rockers before

Back