• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

383 Cam Option

Big J

Reaction score
Working on a 1970 Challenger 383 auto with air , 391 gear. I"m not getting enough vacuum to run my power brakes. They tell me my cam it to big. ( I do not know what cam is in the car )
I would like to know what is a good cam to replace the one I have. The car is used for cruising .Thank you.

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
First you can try a vacuum canister with a check valve this might overcome the issue
If you decide to replace the cam there are a lot of factors involved in determining the correct cam , rear gear ratio , converter lock up rpm if Auto , intake used , & others .
Generally I recommend Lunati VooDoo series 701-703 for most street apps
You have other factors such as flat tappet requiring special oils or roller requiring special parts , there is not perfect solution just compromise .
I am happy to help with the selection , many others can agree that the choices I make work very well .

Challenger RTA

Reaction score
Spend less than $20 and buy a fuel vacuum gauge. Check it yourself.very easy to do and find out the problem.They have known to be in error!

fuel vac gauge.jpg

vacumm-reading.png

Back