• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

4 link rear suspension kit Vs B body rear with offsets

Mark Thornton

Reaction score
We are torn between using a 4 link rear suspension kit from Ride Tech. Vs B body rear with spring offsets. We really want to lower the car and put a set of 17"s on it . Most likely with go with a Coilover front suspension. any Thoughts would be appreciated Thanks for looking

70chall440

Reaction score
First off, what car are you working on? I made and installed a triangulated 4 link in my 73 Cuda, at the time there were not any kits so I had to make it all but it seems to work ok. I do now think there is a huge advantage over leafs for street driving and don't think I would do it again. As to CO fronts, again a lot of work for not a lot of gain. I am doing a CO on the 70 RR I am building now but its because the front end is already chopped up quite a bit and it has a tilt front end, plus I came into some tubular LCAs, so I am going to try it out. That said, I do not believe I would do it on a street or even mild performance build. The stock components will do everything needed and it does it well.

Mark Thornton

Reaction score
Building a 70 Cuda , I was told the 4 link would improve the ride tremendously . also allow for a fatter tire . and the CO shocks in the front would also improve the ride.. We are looking to Lower the stance as well

70chall440

Reaction score
Well whoever told you that is not being accurate. A 4 link is not going to be ride better, it might handle better but the ride its more than likely going to be harsher with a 4 link depending on the shocks you use. Same deal with the front end, a CO system is not going to ride better than a stock T bar system depending on component selection.

What is your overall objective for the car? Remember, everything is a give and take to one degree or another; a car that handles exceptionally well generally will not ride like a sitting on the couch (like a big C body, caddy, etc).

There are a lot of after market systems out there, while many work pretty well at the end of the day they are not hugely advantageous over stock systems for a street driven vehicle. I completely understand wanting something "different" and I am a big fan of "your car, your money".

Last edited:

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
I agree , I am not a fan of 4 link suspension , yes you have more spring rates available but the gain is very minimal for a lot of work , I would use a B body diff , move the springs inboard & use composite springs & good quality double adjustable shocks , you will have great ride & handling if you want more you can notch the frame rails & move the front of the spring inside the frame rail at the front & build a box for the rear but to use that space you also need to tub the wheel wells . Mopar suspension was decades ahead in the 60s , no need to rethink it just put in better parts , Richard Ehrenberg made a Valiant corner above 1g with simple upgrades .
I have helped build a number of cars & everyone who has installed 4 link has ultimately regretted it,, just not enough gain for the work or cost involved .

70chall440

Reaction score
Had to fix my last post...

I agree with Chryco 100% but as I said, I also completely understand the desire to have something different and have been down that road. If money is not an issue and you want it "just because", then go ahead and go for it, but do not expect it to be the end all be all of ride and handling. As stated, the stock design (front and rear) can be made to handle as good or better than other cars/designs of the period.

Of course there is always the ultimate conversion which is the installation of a complete frame system such as those offered by Art Morrison or Schwartz.

Mark Thornton

Reaction score
Ok I will tell my son to stick with Stock suspension with the exception of installing B body diff and using the spring offsets, Next Question who makes the best rear springs, and what shocks should I be looking at.. Thanks s to all For this Info it Realy helps from making costly mistakes. We are presently entertaining installing a worked 440 with EFI injection about 550 HP give or take. with a Tremec 5 speed Using 17" on front and maybe 19's or 20 on the rear maybe a 305 wide tire or what ever will fit.. Also dropping it 2" all around

70chall440

Reaction score
Is this an E body? I assume it is.

As to leaf springs, again depends on what your objectives are and how you intend to use the car. Look at the kits from Hotchkiss, they do work and work well. EPSO makes good springs as well.

Mark Thornton

Reaction score
a 1970 E body.. We intend to make it a street car AC and semi custom interior Tiberon seats ect. Lowered 2 inches with custom wheels

70chall440

Reaction score
Welcome. I did some auto cross at the MATS back around 2013 or so and there was a 70 Challenger driven by a lady and a 68 GTX (might have been a Satellite or even a RR) sponsored by Hotchkiss running, they ran all day everyday (3 day event) and handled very well through the course. Its all bolt on and by all accounts works well. You can do the same thing or get the same results by buying individual parts pieces from other sources.

Also check out Firm Feel, you should give them a call and talk about your goals and objectives. It is a family run business and they are all about Mopar exclusively, they are very knowledgeable, friendly easy to deal with. They will discuss options and are very open.

Mark Thornton

Reaction score
did thank you, they suggested I run with dropped spindles and new rear springs with 1 inch drop and spring hanger offsets

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
My friend built a car that handles like a slot car & he used compostie rear leaf springs , I can find out what company he bought them from

Cratos

Reaction score
Im going with a A body rear and doctor diff 1 inch relocation kit I have keystone 15 x 10s and 295-50-15s so I needed to move the tires in 2 inches on both sides .as soon as my disk brake kit gets her I'll post some photos.

IMG_0190.JPG

IMG_0216.JPG

Back