• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

4 piston calipers ?

1bolt@atime

Reaction score
San Jose, CA (previously known as prune-ville)
I know ssbc makes 4 piston calipers and older A bodies had the 4 piston calipers. My question is, does anyone make a bracket to use the 4 piston calipers listed above on original equipment 1970 ebody disc brake spindles. Or are there any aftermarket ebody drop spindles that fit the above calipers? All the kits I see use the original equipment drum brake spindles.
Thanks for any & all information.

Steve340

Reaction score
I was under the impression the 4 piston calipers were for lighter cars and you might be downgrading the brakes if you used the 4 piston unit rather than the original 1 piston pin caliper.

Steve340

Reaction score
Have a read of the previous post in this forum titled Wilwood Disc on 73 Challenger.
AUSTA states he used Wilwood and went back to stock calipers and braking was improved.
I am not an expert but braking is a combination of parts that must all work together for the brakes to be effective and importantly balanced. A front wheel lock up can be controlled but a rear wheel lock usually equals crash. Unless you are a very good driver any major lock up usually involves a tow truck.
Factors to consider are pad size and rotor diameter. Also master cylinder bore size and the booster operation also. The caliper performance will be determined by the amount of pressure and fluid volume supplied by the master/booster.
Mopar actually did a pretty fine job of setting up the brakes on the E body for street applications. Mopar had to set the brakes up for school moms and guys who thought they were Mario Andretti.
If you are interested I can tell you how I set my Challenger up. I would not seriously put it on a race track but the street performance of the brakes is good.
Really good brakes require really great tyres as once the traction limit of the tyre is exceeded you will lock the wheel and braking is gone then.
As I said earlier a combination of many things.

Back