• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

4 spd pedal assembly install

PureGTS

Reaction score
Need info on installing a clutch pedal assembly where one never was. Car is a 74 Challenger 318 904 a nothing special here car. Currently a big empty shell. Clutch bell crank support already welded to frame rail. When purchased was being made in to a drag car destined for a 440 4 spd.
As in the pic, there is the pedal mounts that are shared by the brake master cylinder but there are two additional holes to the left that don't have any reinforcement on the firewall or any locating dimples. Should there be additional reinforcement that I'm missing or just drill the holes, bolt it up and quit whining?

Marked clutch pedalsSM.jpg

Marked clutch pedalsSM.jpg

rklein71

Reaction score
Went to ebay for a quick picture, not sure what Brewers charges. I bought a good used one for less, just have to search for a while. Rod

PureGTS

Reaction score
Thanks rklein71 and gzig5. This will answer things for all of us even thinking of doing this as this is an empty shell I'm starting with. This was supposed to be a quick deal for the middle child to take back and forth to school. Bought it in Aug and still not even close to assembled; much less running. Fortunately she's patient.
Clutch safety switch?? I thought I was going to have to fab one up from a micro switch from a Jake brake. Cool, something else to look for.
My RR doesn't have that. Of course it too was a bit of a put together too. (see pic) But for $100 at the time it was a good buy. It also serves as a guide to what the Challenger needs since the RR is originally a 4sdp car. But being 5 years apart, some stuff doesn't crossover.

RRBEGcolage.JPG

PureGTS

Reaction score
Thanks rklein71 and gzig5. This will answer things for all of us even thinking of doing this as this is an empty shell I'm starting with. This was supposed to be a quick deal for the middle child to take back and forth to school. Bought it in Aug and still not even close to assembled; much less running. Fortunately she's patient.
Clutch safety switch?? I thought I was going to have to fab one up from a micro switch from a Jake brake. Cool, something else to look for.
My RR doesn't have that. Of course it too was a bit of a put together too. (see pic) But for $100 at the time it was a good buy. It also serves as a guide to what the Challenger needs since the RR is originally a 4sdp car. But being 5 years apart, some stuff doesn't crossover.

rklein71

Reaction score
I took a bunch of grief for posting this on the E-bodies.org Facebook page for installing a Hyundai clutch safety switch in my 71 Barracuda. I fabbed up a simple 90 degree bracket to mount it. It cost around seven bucks and worked perfectly. I just can't see spending 2-3 hundred bucks for something no one sees and my car is not stock anyhow. Rod
upload_2019-12-1_15-1-1.png

IMG_4664.JPG

gzig5

Reaction score
That's great. I was planning on using an over-travel switch from a CNC axis but something like that may be easier to mount. I have no problem using non-oem parts where needed to get my car together.

Am I correct in assuming that a pedal set from a 70-72 car will work in a 73-74? I have a 73. Looks like the OP has a refurbed 73-74 but the reproductions use the earlier layout. Only difference I can see is how the brake pedal is bent and I guess the pads are different sizes? I might have an easier time finding the earlier sets at a swap meet if I don't go Repro.

PureGTS

Reaction score
Once again to the rescue: rklein71. Thank you! So much of this poor thing is gone all original is out the window. Son wants to make it a road car family project. I just want it running and able to move under it's own power. Haven't driven a 4spd big block in a while. All my RR's 4spd stuff is moving in. RR got to be hard on parts and became a automatic when the 400/451 came on line. (see pic) slicks and side stepping the clutch at 4000RPM to cut a light can do some really bad things. But I did get a really cool paper weight out of it.
gzig5 - I couldn't tell you on the pedal set up. This is just what this car came with when I bought it. Hopefully I don't run out of parts before it's done. Stay tuned...

axletwistend.JPG

Back