• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

4 Speed Shifting Rod Replacement

RayL

Reaction score
What determines the correct set of shifting rods? The cross member based on the year of the body or the year of the trans? Or something completely different?

I have a 1973 Challenger that was converted from a 340 automatic to a 383 4 speed. Looking online I find there are two sets of rods available based on model year. The engine was cast in '67. The trans was cast in '69, and has the tailshaft with dual mounting points. It has a Hurst shifter. The current reverse rod looks more like the 1970-1972 pictured below. BUT - it is also hangs down so far as to be the lowest point under the car and is so sloppy that it can swing side to side enough to hit the exhaust system.

1633732937042.png

Thanks for all the great information shared on this site. Very much appreciated!

70chall440

Reaction score
Ive had a few 4spd E bodies over the years and I have never noticed any differences in the rods, however that absolutely doesn't mean there isn't any. That said, the 4spd rod sets I think would work either way and I think the "70-72" set is to allow for the Hemi 4spd which has a fatter case.

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
I see no reason why either would not work , the park brake cable system & Routing changed in 71 possibly part of the reason for the J shaped reverse rod , all of the levers on the trans should point up from the pivot . I don't recall the reverse rod hanging that low .
All 833 cases are the same size but the brgs & internals differ , the trans used a ball detent in 70 & levers in 71 up as well as the 70 TA / AAR .
The chassis didn't change either in the 5 years .
Brewers may have a clearer explanation for the design change .

RayL

Reaction score
I sent a message to Brewers. They offer both versions on their site (LRS-BE or LRS-E). I'll post back once I hear from them.

Thanks!

70chall440

Reaction score
I see no reason why either would not work , the park brake cable system & Routing changed in 71 possibly part of the reason for the J shaped reverse rod , all of the levers on the trans should point up from the pivot . I don't recall the reverse rod hanging that low .
All 833 cases are the same size but the brgs & internals differ , the trans used a ball detent in 70 & levers in 71 up as well as the 70 TA / AAR .
The chassis didn't change either in the 5 years .
Brewers may have a clearer explanation for the design change .

Thanks for the clarity, I haven't dealt with a Hemi A833 for quite and was relying on my memory from back in the late 70's, I would have sworn the Hemi case was slightly fatter, definitely seemed heavier (which is probably is due to the larger bearings).

RayL

Reaction score
Some good A833 references are available on the web. Although not much information in the way of shifting rod applications...

RayL

Reaction score
And check out the parts board images Cuda Hunter included in this post. It is fantastic for us visual guys!

RayL

Reaction score
Reply from Brewers: Either shifter rod set will work on the E body, the only exception for the LRS-BE kit is that using an “H” pipe in the exhaust it can hit, and requires the earlier Rev rod in the LRS-E kit.

Rons340

Reaction score
I believe the Hemi calls for the H-pipe as OE so that makes since. You can always depend on Brewers!

70SunFun

Reaction score
What determines the correct set of shifting rods? The cross member based on the year of the body or the year of the trans? Or something completely different?

I have a 1973 Challenger that was converted from a 340 automatic to a 383 4 speed. Looking online I find there are two sets of rods available based on model year. The engine was cast in '67. The trans was cast in '69, and has the tailshaft with dual mounting points. It has a Hurst shifter. The current reverse rod looks more like the 1970-1972 pictured below. BUT - it is also hangs down so far as to be the lowest point under the car and is so sloppy that it can swing side to side enough to hit the exhaust system.

View attachment 86717

Thanks for all the great information shared on this site. Very much appreciated!
What vendor sells the best set of rods? Thanks.

Rons340

Reaction score
I get all of my transmission related parts from Brewers. Great service and fast shipping!

RayL

Reaction score
I can't vouch for the other sites mentioned, but I can say that Brewers has been great so far. I got immediate responses to emails. They answered all my questions and provided a few tips as well. I'll be purchasing their LRS-BE SHIFTER LINKAGE ROD SET 1973-4 B/E-BODY.

70SunFun

Reaction score
I can't vouch for the other sites mentioned, but I can say that Brewers has been great so far. I got immediate responses to emails. They answered all my questions and provided a few tips as well. I'll be purchasing their LRS-BE SHIFTER LINKAGE ROD SET 1973-4 B/E-BODY.
Thank you.

Back