• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

400 or 440?

Reaction score
I have a bare 440 block, and also a cordoba 1976-77 with a 400 (383?) in it, want to build up a torque monster for my cuda, which one should I choose?

burntorange70

Reaction score
Bigger is better for torque. I would go 440. But that's just me. Or do a stroker. Could make either one a torque monster with a bigger crank and the correct combo of parts.

moparleo

Reaction score
The B block is also narrower which gives you more room between the fenders. More clearance for headers etc... Either engine size can be built for whatever your goals are Just choose your parts wisely.

moper

Reaction score
With the 440 you have to get a crank. So with that purchase in mind I'd vote for a stroker, and if it was me, I'd use the 400 block. If you don;t want to teara into the 400 then just ge tthe parts for the 440, but I'd definately go bigger if the budget is good enough for it. What is the budget, by the way?

Adam

Reaction score
440source.com has some good tech on the blocks; definitely worth a read :http://www.440source.com/blockinfo.htm

On a side note do not use a 440 Source aluminum water pump housing; I bought one and the passenger side passage was very small, I could barely get my finger into the bend. I was able to open it up with porting tools, but what a PITA!

I have never used or even seen their stroker kits, but I know a racer (9 sec Cuda) who says they are good, but "Chinesey". I like American stuff whenever possible.

Last edited:

moper

Reaction score
The metalurgy isn't as bad as it was when they first got into things. My complaints are all with the finish machining quality. I recommend all the parts be carefully inspected by a qualified machinist, and in the budgeting stage you should account for that. It's nothing different from any aftermarket product. Very few are really "drop in" or "ready to run" as delivered for true performance work.

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
The common strokers are 400 / 451 CI or 440/ 512 CI either make awesome tq .
You can go bigger which are more short life race builds but the above combos will have a long life with excellent power .
I have used a number of 440 Source kits with no issues as long as everything is checked while machining & assy of the engine .
The 400 block is actually stronger being more compact not that block failures are common , Mopar has one of the strongest production blocks

challenger6pak

Reaction score
The only block failure I have had with a Mopar block is due to overheating and breaking the water jacket. That was a 13:1 motor that I drove on the street. Temp. sensor went out and I didn't realize the temp it until the jacket blew. A deep freeze will cause the same problem. I'm in Florida so I don't have to worry about those things.

Back