• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

440 cam/vacuum questions

moparguy

Reaction score
Hey guys I am rebuilding my 440 and its getting bored right now and I'm trying to pick out the right cam. I want to get a flat tappet I was wondering if I could use the stock lifters or do I need new ones. Also I want the car to have power brakes down the road. I was looking at about a 286 adv. duration with about .490 lift will this rob the vaccum from the power brakes or will I still be ok. Also how "lopey" will the idle be? Thanks

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
use new lifters , it is hard enough to keep cams alive at all anymore , use a good oil as well , Z-Alt , Brad Penn , SL rated if you can find it , you need lots of ZDDP to prevent failure while breaking the cam in .
Are you using headers or manifolds ?
I would recommend a 112 CL with manifolds & 110* with headers . Lunati has has some cams in the zone you are looking at , you say you want a flat tappet cam , but Hyd or Solid ?
Lift will not affect idle so it is duration & overlap that will control vacuum & lope , you should be able to get into the 270* ad duration & still be near the lift you want .
CAll Lunati & Talk with Steve Slavik or Jeff , they should be a ble to tailor a great cam for you or I can dig through & see what I can find .

moparguy

Reaction score
thanks I am going to run headers on it and its a hydraulic flat tappet sorry

Last edited:

moper

Reaction score
If it was me, make sure you upgrade to a performance piston, and on the camshaft, keep the duration at .050" below 225° or so. Something like the XE262 from Comp, or the 60302 from Lunati. Otherwise you may have vacuum issues with the brakes. A 440 properly rebuilt with a camshaft that size can get you well past 400hp and 500 tq pretty easy. So power will not be an issue. Always replace the lifters with a camshaft, and always make sure the heads are machined to accept the properly matched springs for your cam choice. The larger, more modern camshafts usually spec a spring that requires the heads have special machining done. So you will want to consult you machinist when you have the cam choice in mind.

Back