• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

440 mopar Roller cam advice

Ariovistus

Reaction score
Hello again,

I have a 1970 440 with a steel crank. I was looking at Lunati 268/276 duration flat tappet cam with 450/513 lift, 110/106 centerline. However, my mechanic told me it would suck up my vacuum. I have power brakes, Power steering, and Air Conditioning. I was looking at the Lunati 262/270 hyd roller cam with 507/515 lift with a 112 centerline. Would this be a good cam to run with these accessories, as I need the vacuum. Any help is appreciated.

P.S. I am looking to make some good rearwheel horsepower. I plan on running a performer rpm intake or a holley street dominator, 700 cfm Carter AVS.

Thank You.

Ariovistus

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
Lunati has some kiler grinds but I have not used a lot of Hydrollers , I would call Lunati directly & talk to Jeff or Steve , my machinist used an experimental grind not listed in any catalog yet that he just loves in a 340 / 412 ci stroker build

moparleo

Reaction score
As you know, only your power brakes are affected by low vacuum. The power steering and a/c are powered by the accessory belt. I would take Chryco Psycho's advice and talk to the cam maker first. They will let you know the correct cam and lifter setup for your application. Probably the best answer to your power brake problem would be to go with a hydro boost instead of vacuum powered brakes. If you are looking to run power steering and air-conditioning it sounds like you are more concerned with streetability than all out horsepower. Let them know all of your wants and expectations and go with the pros. Some times you have to make compromises in the real world.

Challenger340

Reaction score
BEST advice here, if you are going Lunati, is as mentioned to Call Steve or Jeff DIRECTLY,
or,
speak to an Actual Cam Engineer, BEFORE ordering, and tell them EXACTLY what you want with the "power" criterion, if that is paramount in your wishes ?

Personally, I cannot see a Vacuum problem with either Cam listed above, if both listed above are "advertised" events(268/276 or 262/270), or, are those "Duration @ .050" events ?(unlikely at those lifts)
That said,
IMO,
the WORST thing you can do, is allow any Internet "supposed" Guru to go dictating Cam profiles, me or ANYBODY else for that matter.
CALL THE EXPERTS Directly !

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
It does no harm to look online or through a catalog & pick out some optional cams that you can suggest when you call them , often you may find a grind that the guy on the line has not though of trying . I know there are new profiles not listed in the catalogs being a year or more old so it is worth the call to see what new cams are being developed as well

moparleo

Reaction score
Sometimes too much information is worse than no information. Picture a guy going to buy his first big screen. He goes to the first store and the sales person says "what are you looking for and how much do you want to spend? " I want something with a good picture and really good sound but I don't want to spend over $0000. What do you have ? They show him 2 options.
He goes to the next store and asks the same question and this salesman says" Well I recommend this one because the Picture has 10,000,000 pixels more than Bla Bla Bla. and has a 1200 watt amp ,hi-fi, wi-fi,3d,wide angle Bla Bla Bla, I like this one cause my cousin had one or this one cause my friend has one.......

I just wanted a good tv, now I don't know what I want. Like going to a restaurant with a 10 page menu...

Sometimes we make things much more complicated than it should be. You got to walk before you run....

Brads70

Reaction score
I bought a Hyd roller cam and lifters Lunati #60312 cam. and matching the beehive spring kit.
I haven't installed it yet, I'm building a 451" I figured this was a good cam for my needs. Yep I could have gotten 100HP more but this is just a street motor and it's gonna fry the tires as is. IMO

Back