• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

440 rod weight?

volcanocar

Reaction score
any one happen to know what the rods and pistons weighed that came out of a factory 440?
six pack or standard? separately if possible.

thanks

volcanocar

Reaction score
440source sells a factory reproduction steel LY rod. (basically a brand new original 440 rod)
would those handle abuse from a 500hp motor?

moparleo

Reaction score
Yes they would. Why do you want to know the weight ? If you are replacing just one rod and are trying to get that kind of reliable horsepower, you would need to check the weight of each component and probably rebalance the rotating assembly.

Mopars & Missiles

Reaction score
No idea what year engine you have.......there are differences year to year.

BTW, a factory service manual is "The Bible" for working on these cars. I suggest you get one for your car whatever it is.

440 Rod Weights.jpg

440 Piston Weights.jpg

volcanocar

Reaction score
the rod weight was kinda an afterthought when I was contemplating piecing together the bottom end and was wondering how some of the aftermarket rods compared to factory rods.

I'm at odds with what I want to do vs what I can afford to do.
my dad who is very knowledgable although at times very unrealistic keeps trying to push for these stroker assemblies which are very nice quality, and they are forged, and they are brand new, and the are very well priced for what you get BUT they are kind of out of my price range.
Originally I was going to get a federal mogul rebuild kit with the trw slugs and buy a factory forged crank with repop rods and call it a day...
I'm not sure what I'm going to do now.

thanks for your replies though guys and thanks for that info

moparleo

Reaction score
You always need to establish a budget for whatever project you are contemplating. But remember a wise old saying that goes " The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten" In other words, spend wise, spend once.

Back