• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

4speed dash reverse light

Avalanche

Reaction score
So I'm missing the dash reverse light. I would like to add it, but I can't find the electrical connection on the engine side of the bulkhead connector. I did some research and found the bottom left connector (which should have it) has 4 wires. 2 going to the transmission and 1 wire going to fan motor and 1 going to a/c.
I looked up the harness and it Dosent mention anything about the a/c being connected with it.

Adam

Reaction score
My wiring diagram shows the two wires from the trans (back up lamp switch) go to #7 and #8 on the engine side of the bulkhead connector. if you run the lamp wire from #7, you will be good to go.

Avalanche

Reaction score
Thanks for the answer.
Now is it correct for the a/c and heater wires to come off the same connector?
Do you think the harness is for an auto since it's missing the dash light wire?

Avalanche

Reaction score
Ok, did more research and found out the a/c lines just plug into the reverse light bulkhead connector.
I'm planning on buying a new reverse harness, but will need to remove the a/c wires from the old connector and place into new.
Anyone ever swap any wires out of an old connector to a new one?
How does the wires come out of the old connector without damaging it?

71RT383

Reaction score
I am considering picking these up myself.
Year One sells 1) the spade terminal tool #WST1 - $25.95
Also, 2) steering column tool ( for round male /female connectors) #SCT1 - $25.95
Both are said not to damage the plastic connectors.
These prices were from the print catalog, online prices may be more updated. Check around others may carry these..

Avalanche

Reaction score
Searched year one but couldn't find anything with the WST1 product number.
Any chance you can post a link?

71RT383

Reaction score
Searched year one but couldn't find anything with the WST1 product number.
Any chance you can post a link?
I apologize, I saw these in a Year One catalog some time ago (wrote item #s and info down) on my list to buy, and was going to purchase as I am getting closer to redoing the steering column and other electrical.
This evening, I had negative results online with YO (also), Classic Industries,Summit, and other searches.
Monday I will call Year One for info , hopefully someone(seasoned) there will know about it.

71RT383

Reaction score
Avalanche,
I spoke to Year One and was told they had stopped carrying the Spade terminal tool and the Steering column tool due to the vendor. Was unable to give me any further/helpful info. Searches were coming up empty.
I practiced on spare connectors that I have.
For the Female Spade Connector; I used a small narrow flathead screwdriver, (an extra, so didn't mind filing it so that it would fit into the center channel within the connector housing), also used one of my straight dental tools ( I got from my dentist about 15 years ago, which she cleaned in the autoclave for me, they are very handy and can get into tiny spaces- carbs, o-rings, etc. ). Both worked fine for me.
To Remove Female: From the wire side I slid the wire towards the connector housing then put the screwdriver into the front of the connector housing's shallow center channel ( just under the metal terminal) , I was then able to pull the wire back out from the connector housing (you may have to jiggle the wire a bit).
* If you are reinstalling the same connector (for example, after a repair) make sure you gently push the locking tab down just a bit ( on the metal terminal ) , so that it locks back into the connector's housing once reinstalled. *
To Remove Male Spade : I used Needle-nose pliers (bit longer than standard) and put pliers straight onto the metal spade terminal ( with metal spade terminal vertical within the jaws ) about mid way, with gentle pressure and was able to push the spade terminal free then pull out from the rear of the housing. * Gentle pressure, Not the death grip *
Hope this helps you along with your project.

autoxcuda

Reaction score
So did you buy a reverse light assy? I have a complete original one for sale with correct grommet.

Mad Cuda

Reaction score
I use Evans Wiring Harnesses. They seem to have any harness you might need. They also seem pretty knowledgable how there are connected, etc. I just installed a backup light switch wire harness for my 4 speed, and because the car was originally a 3 speed, it did not have a dash reverse indicator light, so I installed one today. I connected the power light's wire to the small pigtail that came with the harness. For unknown reasons, the indicator light comes on as soon as I turn the headlights on, whether or not the car is in reverse?? The light should only come on when the car is in reverse. Any suggestions on how to fix this problem would be appreciated. Thanks, Sergio

Back