• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

5.7L with NAG1 and factory ECM

Buckminster

Reaction score
All,
I bought a 2006 Charger with the 5.7L/NAG1 combination for installing in my '73 Challenger. I'd like to use as much of it as possible. In reading several of the suggested websites, forums,etc. there is a reference to needing vehicle speed sensors at the front and back of the car to make this work. I am under the impression that the ABS computer takes this data from the wheel speed sensors and feeds data to the TCM for it to work properly.

Hotwire sells a complete harness and the instructions say wheel speed sensors are required but does not elaborate. Anyone have to deal with this and how did you solve it cost effectively (prefferred) or otherwise (also interested).

Pictures are appreciated.

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
Get 4 tire pressure sensors , programmed to the ECU , put them into a PVC pipe with a valve stem in the end cap , pressurize the pipe & toss it in the trunk !

Buckminster

Reaction score
Get 4 tire pressure sensors , programmed to the ECU , put them into a PVC pipe with a valve stem in the end cap , pressurize the pipe & toss it in the trunk !
I believe they are talking about reluctor wheels and sensors that count the teeth as they pass. Similar to a crank sensor. This would provide a speed signal back to the ECU. I should have been more specific. I am not aware of any kit nor could I find one that adapts a reluctor wheel and sensor to an E-body front spindle. That was the question I was asking. If you are aware of anyone using this setup and having to adapt a reluctor wheel and sensor to an E-body front spindle.

JpRngr

Reaction score
I installed a 6.1 and NAG1 in my 74 Chally using the Hotwire harness. They sell(or it comes with, I don't remember) a reluctor ring that mounts to the output yoke of the transmission. They also provided the 2 necessary abs sensors, you just have to figure out a mount for them. Wasn't very difficult. Make sure you talk to them before getting rid of your donor car, so you grab all necessary parts off of it. Good luck!

Buckminster

Reaction score
I installed a 6.1 and NAG1 in my 74 Chally using the Hotwire harness. They sell(or it comes with, I don't remember) a reluctor ring that mounts to the output yoke of the transmission. They also provided the 2 necessary abs sensors, you just have to figure out a mount for them. Wasn't very difficult. Make sure you talk to them before getting rid of your donor car, so you grab all necessary parts off of it. Good luck!
thanks for the tip! What rearend ratio do you have in your car?

SFEbody

Reaction score
I have the Hotwire harness and love it, they use a TCM for the 8HP70 auto 8 speed. Plug and play, no need for a back to the future reluctor capacitor.. LOL @buckmaster. HAd to thro that one in. I do have Dakota digital rally gauge set up and use Dakota's GPS speedometer module. so easy,. hot wire, key on wire, ground and their 4 pin connector to the control board.

Buckminster

Reaction score
I have the Hotwire harness and love it, they use a TCM for the 8HP70 auto 8 speed. Plug and play, no need for a back to the future reluctor capacitor.. LOL @buckmaster. HAd to thro that one in. I do have Dakota digital rally gauge set up and use Dakota's GPS speedometer module. so easy,. hot wire, key on wire, ground and their 4 pin connector to the control board.
I'm old enough to get the joke. LOL. if you go to O'reilly's website, and search for Flux Capacitor, it comes up in their search results. I love that stuff. thanks for making me laugh.

JpRngr

Reaction score
thanks for the tip! What rearend ratio do you have in your car?
I'm running 3.55's but think 3.23's or 2.92's would be better. Couldn't imagine running lower, I wouldn't be able to do anything but idle away from lights. 1/4 throttle now spins the tires.

Buckminster

Reaction score
I'm running 3.55's but think 3.23's or 2.92's would be better. Couldn't imagine running lower, I wouldn't be able to do anything but idle away from lights. 1/4 throttle now spins the tires.
Thank you for sharing your experience. I'm slowly coming to the same conclusion. How tall are your tires? I've got 25.6" tall tires and using a rpm calculator looks like I'll still be turning 2500 rpm with the NAG1 and 3.55's. That was a big part of the equation for going to the 8 speed (much lower OD ratio) that and a few conversations with the guys that make the wire harness kits. Most of them recommended the 8HP70. If I could sell the two transmissions I have, I would go with the 8HP70, but if not, I'll probably use the NAG1.

Buckminster

Reaction score
Thank you for sharing your experience. I'm slowly coming to the same conclusion. How tall are your tires? I've got 25.6" tall tires and using a rpm calculator looks like I'll still be turning 2500 rpm with the NAG1 and 3.55's. That was a big part of the equation for going to the 8 speed (much lower OD ratio) that and a few conversations with the guys that make the wire harness kits. Most of them recommended the 8HP70. If I could sell the two transmissions I have, I would go with the 8HP70, but if not, I'll probably use the NAG1.
Update: I sold both transmissions and have aquired an 8HP70. I spoke with Chris at Hotwire and he advised I get a 2007 ECU (as opposed to the 2006). It eliminates the need for the front computer (FCU) with this combination. So now I only have the Factory ECU and the TCU to mount.

SFEbody

Reaction score
Update: I sold both transmissions and have aquired an 8HP70. I spoke with Chris at Hotwire and he advised I get a 2007 ECU (as opposed to the 2006). It eliminates the need for the front computer (FCU) with this combination. So now I only have the Factory ECU and the TCU to mount.
Told ya Chris is amazing. And he will jump on a call with you 100% of the time

Back