• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

6.1 Hemi Swap

daryld

Reaction score
Thank you it’s been a long road but it sure is a blast to drive .
Hey buddy. I am the tail end of my 6.4 swap and having brake issues. I have a Wilwood 1" bore MS with a 9" booster and this setup is not giving me the caliber pressure I need to get the car to stop. I see you had an 11" booster but it looks like you swapped to Hydroboost. Were you having the same issue with the engine not giving you enough vacuum for the booster to work properly? Also, which bore size do you have with your Hydroboost? I was thinking about just eliminating the booster all together and going strait to the wall. This would give me manual brakes but should be better with the Wilwood MS but definitely would miss having PB. Please let me know your experience.

Thanks
Daryl

Cudafor36

Reaction score
Look for my post on the 6.4 392 I've installed into my 73 Cuda. All done and like this thread I have lots of advice as well. I bought all new items and had to do little modifications to the car. The car has not been beat on yet as im at the 1,000 mile break in point. Soon I'll be able to open her up.

Cudafor36

Reaction score
Hey buddy. I am the tail end of my 6.4 swap and having brake issues. I have a Wilwood 1" bore MS with a 9" booster and this setup is not giving me the caliber pressure I need to get the car to stop. I see you had an 11" booster but it looks like you swapped to Hydroboost. Were you having the same issue with the engine not giving you enough vacuum for the booster to work properly? Also, which bore size do you have with your Hydroboost? I was thinking about just eliminating the booster all together and going strait to the wall. This would give me manual brakes but should be better with the Wilwood MS but definitely would miss having PB. Please let me know your experience.

Thanks
Daryl

Omg. You have hit a sore spot. Lol. My car too does not stop as I'd like it to with all the new tech in her. I do have a confirmed 21in of vacuum to the booster but still I can't lock em up. Drop me a line. 7345453794 Pete. We could possibly help each other.

hpjunke

Reaction score

Thanks
Daryl
Hi Daryl i don’t have but the stock front disc set up on it and i forget the bore size , I took the hydroboost out of an astro van and used a modern mopar master with it . It stops superb and i didn’t have any vaccumm issues just needed the space since with the hemi , you won’t be able to remove the coil pack and plus the hydroboost is a great upgrade

daryld

Reaction score
Hi Daryl i don’t have but the stock front disc set up on it and i forget the bore size , I took the hydroboost out of an astro van and used a modern mopar master with it . It stops superb and i didn’t have any vaccumm issues just needed the space since with the hemi , you won’t be able to remove the coil pack and plus the hydroboost is a great upgrade
Thanks for the reply. I finally realized that these Gen 3 engines do not make enough vacuum for a vacuum boost so I took it all off and went with a hydroboost and wilwood 1 1/8 bore. I have six piston calibers front and four back. The brakes will now put you throw the windsheild and lock all four wheels up. In fact, we had to take everything out the back brakes through the proportioning valve because they were locking up so hard that the rear end was coming around. Got it dialed in and now they work awesome. Cannot recommend a hydroboost set up strong enough. Enjoy your ride!

FC12797E-F5FD-4D39-8BF5-49BF932C96CC.jpeg

F6889BDF-0ADD-4654-9083-F1D7D0FB1952.jpeg

1460F8C3-C870-4909-BE82-45A0B9C1C8FC.jpeg

Cudafor36

Reaction score
Another question for ya please. How did you link the end of the hydro to the pedal linkage. I've read here that you can hook it directly to the brake pedal arm and not the stock pivot one that connects to the normal vacuum booster. I ask as my system from Sweeney has the rod too far in and I can't adjust the hydro rod in far enough to make it line up with the original linkage without having the pedal way too high.

daryld

Reaction score
Another question for ya please. How did you link the end of the hydro to the pedal linkage. I've read here that you can hook it directly to the brake pedal arm and not the stock pivot one that connects to the normal vacuum booster. I ask as my system from Sweeney has the rod too far in and I can't adjust the hydro rod in far enough to make it line up with the original linkage without having the pedal way too high.
The rod is not adjustable and I have no idea why they made it this way. It is too long which causes consistent pressure to be applied to the brakes. Found this out the hard way when my brakes locked up. We simply added to shims/washers between the booster and reservoir and that solved the problem. Works great now. Not sure how it was hooked up as my mechanic did the install. Hope this helps.

Buckminster

Reaction score
I just have to start out by saying how much I like the approach you took with your car. Can you post a shot of the rear. I'm curious with the subdued look what you did with the exhaust. I've been contemplating this swap as well, so I appreciate the advice you've provided so far. At the moment I'm putting in the MSD atomic fuel injection in as my 340 is pretty stout.

hpjunke

Reaction score
I just have to start out by saying how much I like the approach you took with your car. Can you post a shot of the rear. I'm curious with the subdued look what you did with the exhaust. I've been contemplating this swap as well, so I appreciate the advice you've provided so far. At the moment I'm putting in the MSD atomic fuel injection in as my 340 is pretty stout.

2D01A736-B128-435A-9625-2DE76A1B1108.jpeg

Buckminster

Reaction score
HP,
Wow. That looks really clean! I'm a huge fan. Your car is as close to what I would want to build as possible and looks extremely well executed. thanks for sharing the photos. Hope to see it in person some time.

hpjunke

Reaction score
Thank You ! I only regret not running a taller tire or slightly bigger rim , it sits low and the trans pan is super close to the ground. I will figure it out though . If you in southern cali for sure we can meet up and you can check it out

Williamraylynn

Reaction score
What gauge cluster did you end up using with the harness? I was thinking about using a cluster from a 06 charger or should I go with an aftermarket one.

hpjunke

Reaction score
What gauge cluster did you end up using with the harness? I was thinking about using a cluster from a 06 charger or should I go with an aftermarket one.
i used autometer guages in place of the original ones . Same stock housing just replaced the guages with sport comp ones

Back