• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

70 barracuda convertible

jujuka

Reaction score
I looked at one of these rides and wanted to kinda take a poll. I know what I want to pay for it, but opinions matter and I thought I would get some input from you guys just based on a description. The main reason is, I'm not used to seeing a car like this in this shape. Usually they are rusted or in several pieces.

Body seems in nice shape no visible indication any panels need replacement. Trunk needs to be cleaned out but original ss and jack are there
Interior is nice. not new but complete. Rally dash, power top, console all there but needs work on the trim pieces. add on radio cd
bright work complete nice and clean. along with the top. tight clean no tears or damage. grill needs a restoration. Needs new weatherstripping
318 auto has a 340 auto. runs good, shifts nice, front discs. not clean in the engine compartment some grime maybe small leaks at valve covers or power steering?
wiring not cut up stock decent but brittle and stiff I would say.
Has a fender tag.

It's a driver. I think maybe 10 years ago this car would be 35k- 42k all day long...but now...who knows. I see a lot of disparity in car pricing between restored rides and survivor cars or cars that have just been sitting for years.

thanks!

jujuka

Reaction score
I looked at one of these rides and wanted to kinda take a poll. I know what I want to pay for it, but opinions matter and I thought I would get some input from you guys just based on a description. The main reason is, I'm not used to seeing a car like this in this shape. Usually they are rusted or in several pieces.

Body seems in nice shape no visible indication any panels need replacement. Trunk needs to be cleaned out but original ss and jack are there
Interior is nice. not new but complete. Rally dash, power top, console all there but needs work on the trim pieces. add on radio cd
bright work complete nice and clean. along with the top. tight clean no tears or damage. grill needs a restoration. Needs new weatherstripping
318 auto has a 340 auto. runs good, shifts nice, front discs. not clean in the engine compartment some grime maybe small leaks at valve covers or power steering?
wiring not cut up stock decent but brittle and stiff I would say.
Has a fender tag.

It's a driver. I think maybe 10 years ago this car would be 35k- 42k all day long...but now...who knows. I see a lot of disparity in car pricing between restored rides and survivor cars or cars that have just been sitting for years.

thanks!

Attachments

• 70 barracuda.jpeg
    70 barracuda.jpeg
    39.2 KB · Views: 174

57fury440

Reaction score
It's hard to tell the condition from just that picture. Is the car original or an older restoration?

jujuka

Reaction score
most certainly an older minor restoration. He claims some minor rust repair was done. I don't see any rust that throws down red flags.
It is in decent condition. I mean I would be fine cleaning up some of the imperfections I noted and drive it for awhile. It has under coating but the floor and trunk pans are nice

Cuda Hunter

Reaction score
matching motor?
matching trans?
build sheet?
Fender tag? Let's see it. Or at least the options on the car.
window sticker?
Anything else with the car?

Is it fe5 or ev2 ? Hard to tell. Auto or manual?

Power top? Manual top?

BH? BP? BS? Those do make a difference in price.

Really need some answers to the above to begin the estimate of price.

jujuka

Reaction score
Like I said in my post it was a 318 auto car with a 340 now makes it a bh by default? And a non numbers matching car. And I pointed out it has a fender tag. However it is quite rusty and you can't read the color code but it looks to be fe5.
The broadcast sheet and window sticker is long gone.
And as I pointed out in my post it is a power top. and has a rally dash which I'm thinking isn't original to the car. But no, not much else.
At birth this was probably a standard 318 bh27g car. With a Nice color. Black interior which you can read on the fender tag.
I got some pricing from hagerty valuations and they put it at 36k to 42k.
Which I think Is fair. Its a good condition driver.
I guess its comes down to the price a lover wants to pay.

Cuda Hunter

Reaction score
I see I missed the power top.

I was asking if the original drive train were still with the car regardless of the 340.

A 318 could be BP car.
Rally's could be original.

I did see that you mentioned a fender tag, but the items on the fender tag make a huge difference in the value of a car or the value of a specific car to a specific person.
If it were a BH with M46 I would be interested all of a sudden.
Get the a picture of the fender tag from the back of the tag, much easier to see the rear on a rusty tag.

Tag doesn't mean diddley to some folks though.

I agree with 36-42. But on the market the value is likely higher. 45-55. How many vert barracuda's are up for sale right now? Not many.

jujuka

Reaction score
I think that car in the 40's would be a great deal. 50's is real.
Ok here is what's left of the FT.
That's why it's kind of hard to finger a number on this car. You don't see them like this anymore. Ok say I make a deal for 55k the disparity is I could throw down an extra 20k and get a non numbers matching completely restored big block convertible bp. That's the dilemma. In this case, clearly the restoration costs would never be recovered so it'll be better to just clean up what I can? And drive it like it's meant to be.

Attachments

• Resized_20220114_075156.jpg
    Resized_20220114_075156.jpg
    124.9 KB · Views: 160

57fury440

Reaction score
That tag is pretty bad. I would want to take a good look at the car to see what was done to it in the past.

jujuka

Reaction score
Exactly my thoughts. If at some point the the fender tag rusted on the inner fender like this, what the hell did the rest of the car look like.

yep your right cuda hunter. 45-55 is a market ask for cars in this condition. Really sucks if your looking for a car to do a frame off restro.

Cuda Hunter

Reaction score
Wow. pretty rusted.
D31 A904
C55 buckets
xw black and White interior
v5w body protective moldings with a white insert ( not seen very often)
Can't tell what the M code is. M27? wheel lip moldings delete? (probably not) I expected M31 belt moldings.
Looks like fe5 rally red
V4W white top
Can't tell what is above the interior code.
I'm sure the back of that tag would be readable for the codes that you can't make out on the front.

Not many options on the car really.

Kinda surprised at the 904.

jujuka

Reaction score
thx ch. It's kinda strange that tag looks like its never been off the fender.

Cuda Hunter

Reaction score
It does appear to have not been removed before. Sure is some weird rust on the tag if the car doesn't have anything like that. Could be a good thing. Maybe a battery exploded back in the day and that didn't get cleaned up like the rest of the engine bay.

57fury440

Reaction score
It was an original 318 car so it would have the 904 tranny. Whoever put the 340 in used the transmission that was there. That's my guess.

jujuka

Reaction score
Ok I'm looking at one more car. Needs a complete restoration. It has a fender tag but it has 2 transmission codes d31 and d32? how can that be?
it appears to be white on white on white?

Attachments

• ft1970.jpg
    ft1970.jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 146

Cuda Hunter

Reaction score
It can't be a D31. Has to be between G and R somewhere.
I would assume M31 for moldings of some sort on a vert. I dont' have my code book with me at the moment.

I sure wish a BH 27 0 would show up with M46 on the tag. I'm always looking for M46 on the tags. That's what I collect. WANTED: 1970 barracuda with M46 option in Cars For Sale or Wanted
I would post up some posts here but I can't search M46 as it's too short for the search server here.

Cuda Hunter

Reaction score
That sure is an awesome car, especially for a vert. I prefer white on a vert for some reason. And a triple white is sweet. Of course, xw is black and white. But still.

Back