• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

70 challenger bending frame rails

bullet18

Reaction score
The front frame rails bent away from the torsion bar cross member on my 70 challenger when i was away on spring break. What should i do? I need to replace the frame rails anyway but i cant build a jig if the frame rails are already out of position.

20170409_150020.jpg

bullet18

Reaction score
What is the rest of the story? They don't just bend for no reason. Help us to help you. Maybe a better picture can help.
I believe they bent because of the way they are jacked, the car is supported by 4 jack stands, 2 in front of the fire wall on the frame rails 2 behind it on the frame rails. We installed a new torsion bar crossmember and are about to install US car tool subframe connectors. I believe the fire wall is whats bending and causing the frame rails to get further from the cross member. Sorry for the photo quality ill try too get better photos Wednesday. Thanks for the help!
20170409_182848.jpg

all original

Reaction score
I would build a jig using the frame dimension's from the service manual, put your car on it before you do anything else. Get it back into place and check to make sure everything lines up, like fenders, doors, hood, etc. Then brace your car before cutting any frame rails out. (my opinion)

moparleo

Reaction score
Where the car is supported from is fine. Is this how the car was supported when you replaced the trans cross member ? Just looking at your work area, I would totally clean up your shop. You can't do surgery in the dirt. Also be honest with your skill set. Not many can do it all. I would sub that work to a good body shop. They have the tools and experience.

bullet18

Reaction score
Where the car is supported from is fine. Is this how the car was supported when you replaced the trans cross member ? Just looking at your work area, I would totally clean up your shop. You can't do surgery in the dirt. Also be honest with your skill set. Not many can do it all. I would sub that work to a good body shop. They have the tools and experience.
A body shop isnt an option budget wise. The car has been supported the same way since we replaced the crossmember. That isnt dirt on the ground its rust coming of the frame rails and rockers. The car hasnt had an easy life.

bullet18

Reaction score
I dont have the budget for a body shop. I am however cleaning the garage. The car is jacked in the same way it was when we replaced the crossmember.

moparleo

Reaction score
You probably want to add more jack stands then. The more of the chassis that you support, the easier it will be to align your connectors and the rest of the chassis. A jig does the same by supporting the car solidly. Think about this. When a car is mounted to a rotisserie, it is attached to the front rails and the rear rails. They don't bend in the middle unless there is a lot of weakness maybe due to rusted out rails, spot welds etc... You need to look closer for the problem. It was not how the car was supported.

bullet18

Reaction score
You probably want to add more jack stands then. The more of the chassis that you support, the easier it will be to align your connectors and the rest of the chassis. A jig does the same by supporting the car solidly. Think about this. When a car is mounted to a rotisserie, it is attached to the front rails and the rear rails. They don't bend in the middle unless there is a lot of weakness maybe due to rusted out rails, spot welds etc... You need to look closer for the problem. It was not how the car was supported.
Thanks for the help! I am going to buy more jack stands and support the car from the crossmember and subframe connectors (after i install them) and hopefully realign the frame rails by pushing down on the radiator mount. Then ill make the mother of all jigs to hold the front subframe together untill i put the new frame rails in.

Back