• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

70 Challenger Drivers Side Door Jam Tag

plymouthbelvy

Reaction score
DSCN0151.JPG
DSCN0149.JPG
View attachment 35054 View attachment 35055 View attachment 35056 View attachment 35054 View attachment 35055 View attachment 35056 Hi,I have a 70 Challenger with this tag on the drivers side door jam. It is riveted on.I have added some pics to see if anyone can help me identify this tag as I have never seen this type.Thanks, Mike.

DSCN0150.JPG

TC_Cuda

Reaction score
I had a car like that once... It is a tag that a special DMV type installs on a car without the dash tag. It had all the paper work but, not all the numbers on the car.
In my case the California CHP inspected it and put on the tag.

plymouthbelvy

Reaction score
I had a car like that once... It is a tag that a special DMV type installs on a car without the dash tag. It had all the paper work but, not all the numbers on the car.
In my case the California CHP inspected it and put on the tag.
Thanks.I do have dash tag,fender tag and all other numbers match.My car is a LA built car so the CHP thing makes me wonder.

DetMatt1

Reaction score
Well it ends in "NE" which based on your location it stands for Nebraska. does your title have anything out of the ordinary on it?

TC_Cuda

Reaction score
If you have all the right tags, and numbers, then the door jam tag is odd... and I cant think of any reason someone would put it on there.
Also now that I looked closer at your picture, it does not look like a vin tag..as least not like the one I had, or have seen.
If all the paper is work good, and you have a clean title, I would just drill that off

plymouthbelvy

Reaction score
Well it ends in "NE" which based on your location it stands for Nebraska. does your title have anything out of the ordinary on it?
Hi,Thanks for the reply.Yes I do live in Nebraska which I guess makes sense. I bought the car this summer from a guy who has owned for approx. 15 years. Title was put in my name after purchase with no issues.Title numbers all match to car. Dash,upper cowl,fender tag and even the 4 speed trans numbers match. I know if you bring an out of state car into Nebraska it has to be inspected. Maybe this is what they done years ago?? I think I am going to remove and just store with title. Thanks for all the replies,Mike.

DetMatt1

Reaction score
Hi,Thanks for the reply.Yes I do live in Nebraska which I guess makes sense. I bought the car this summer from a guy who has owned for approx. 15 years. Title was put in my name after purchase with no issues.Title numbers all match to car. Dash,upper cowl,fender tag and even the 4 speed trans numbers match. I know if you bring an out of state car into Nebraska it has to be inspected. Maybe this is what they done years ago?? I think I am going to remove and just store with title. Thanks for all the replies,Mike.
Good idea.

KMikk

Reaction score
When this car was built the abbreviation for Nebraska was Neb.

moparagtop

Reaction score
DON'T Remove the tag unless you have a clear, current registration in hand!!

In New York if the vehicle is too old to have a title and the registration is lost OR it has been more than 25 years since the last registration, the DMV seals the record. If you try to legally re-register it, they will place a tag on the door post. From that moment forward, that becomes the new Legal VIN number.
This is also done on any car that becomes a stolen recovery. On newer cars that have a title, but were considered a total loss and scrapped then the VIN is "canceled"
If the car is "totaled" then rebuilt and proven to be fixed legally and you try to put it back on the road, it will also receive a tag like that.

If you've never registered the car from the previous owner you may have an issue unless you register it under that new tag #
Sometimes the DMV will take the time to clear their computer and allow the car to use the original VIN. If they don't it reduces the value of the car tremendously.

plymouthbelvy

Reaction score
DON'T Remove the tag unless you have a clear, current registration in hand!!

In New York if the vehicle is too old to have a title and the registration is lost OR it has been more than 25 years since the last registration, the DMV seals the record. If you try to legally re-register it, they will place a tag on the door post. From that moment forward, that becomes the new Legal VIN number.
This is also done on any car that becomes a stolen recovery. On newer cars that have a title, but were considered a total loss and scrapped then the VIN is "canceled"
If the car is "totaled" then rebuilt and proven to be fixed legally and you try to put it back on the road, it will also receive a tag like that.

If you've never registered the car from the previous owner you may have an issue unless you register it under that new tag #
Sometimes the DMV will take the time to clear their computer and allow the car to use the original VIN. If they don't it reduces the value of the car tremendously.
Hi,I have the current title in my name and had no issues but have not plated it yet due to the fact that I am not driving it yet.My new title has the correct vin on it and matches car. Its last owner had for approx. 15 years or more and was titled in his name. Hopefully no issues,Thanks for the info.

moparagtop

Reaction score
Glad you have the "registration"
(No titles existed in 70's) with the original JH23x0Bxxxxxx number on it with your name.
In NY they will not issue a current registration unless you show proof of insurance and they issue plates at the time.
Enjoy

DetMatt1

Reaction score
In other words maybe get a plate for it sooner than later and definitely at the very least don't misplace that tag.

Back