• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

70 Challenger front end on a 72?

ThatGuy93

Reaction score
Hello, I just got a 1972 Challenger roller. It needs a right front fender and a hood anyways, so I would like to do the 1970 front end on it and I was wondering what all is needed if someone has done this and has some decent notes? Figure I need the fenders, hood, hood latch, core support, grill and lights...what else is needed? Is it a bolt on deal or quite a bit of fab work? Any help here would be great. I would hate to order a bunch of things thinking that I need it, but end up not or vice versa.

340challconvert

Reaction score
:welcome: to FEBO from New Jersey
Pics of your project always welcome.

There are a number of people who have done this swap.
The 70 front end fenders and parts should bolt on.
70 fenders have the head light buckets built in; 72 on, the head lights buckets were part of the fiberglass grill panel.
You would obviously also have to change the tail light panel and rear tail light fixtures along with fabbing in the 70 rear side lights.
Depends on how far you want to go with the conversion?

ThatGuy93

Reaction score
Honestly I am fine with the rear end how it is. This is going to be a restomod, so I am not too concerned about making it look like a 70 all around. But I want the front end to look like the 70. So I will need the fenders, hood, grill, hood latch, and then is their a main core support for the 70s as well?

340challconvert

Reaction score
Honestly I am fine with the rear end how it is. This is going to be a restomod, so I am not too concerned about making it look like a 70 all around. But I want the front end to look like the 70. So I will need the fenders, hood, grill, hood latch, and then is their a main core support for the 70s as well?
Measure the main core radiator support opening (if that is what your are citing as a "core support") for opening size. Two radiators were used on 1970 Challengers, a small one (22") standard for small V8's and (26") for high performance engines. Not sure what your 72 might have. If it was a V8 or with AC you may already have the frame opening for the larger radiator. I am thinking you will need the larger size radiator for your resto mod!

ThatGuy93

Reaction score
I guess what I am thinking of is what goes from headlight bucket to the other headlight bucket, if there even is a panel like that on this car, or is it a whole grill piece? Then the component that goes right down to the top of the bumper itself.

challenger6pak

Reaction score
You just need to change the fenders, the grille, the bumper, and the bumper brackets.

20221011_193418.jpg

brotow

Reaction score
Hello, I just got a 1972 Challenger roller. It needs a right front fender and a hood anyways, so I would like to do the 1970 front end on it and I was wondering what all is needed if someone has done this and has some decent notes? Figure I need the fenders, hood, hood latch, core support, grill and lights...what else is needed? Is it a bolt on deal or quite a bit of fab work? Any help here would be great. I would hate to order a bunch of things thinking that I need it, but end up not or vice versa.
I have a set of 70 fenders ..... 1970 Challenger fenders 1970 Challenger fenders
1665598524925.png

ThatGuy93

Reaction score
Thanks for that picture, seems like it should be a pretty simple deal.
If you were in Minnesota, id come get those fenders. But the guy I got the car from is a sheet metal dealer and he will give me a small price break and no freight for the sheet metal I need.

ThatGuy93

Reaction score
What is different on the quarters from the 1970 to the 72? Doing full quarters, should I just put 70 quarters on as well with the 70 tail panel? Or keep the 72 quarters and just do the 70 tail panel?

moparlee

Reaction score
What is different on the quarters from the 1970 to the 72? Doing full quarters, should I just put 70 quarters on as well with the 70 tail panel? Or keep the 72 quarters and just do the 70 tail panel?
The side marker lights are different.
70 and 71 are the same.
72-74 are the same.
If you don't care about not having the correct side marker lights, keep the 72 quarters.

challenger6pak

Reaction score
If the 72 quarters are good you can weld in the flange from a 70/71 panel or front fender for the side marker lights or you can fill all the side marker lights.

Back