• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

70 Challenger Restoration, into a driver car

Jblake

Reaction score
Went to get the car running over the weekend, went to start it up and smelled something burning and smoke. It was obvious it was electrical. I didnt even start the car, with the key on this box was getting hot. no idea what it is. Any ideas? Car ran fine when parked. dont know what happened

IMG_0406[1].JPG

IMG_0407[1].JPG

DetMatt1

Reaction score
That's your ballast resistor. Did you see smoke? Was the smell inside or under the hood?

DetMatt1

Reaction score
Start by inspecting all the connections on the bulkhead connector located on the firewall above where the steering column passes through. Did the car start?
Btw, I try to never leave key in the run position unless it's running.

Jblake

Reaction score
The wiring on this car is a mess. So its hard to tell if something is off. So far its turning over but not starting

Jblake

Reaction score
So need advice. I got a new ballast resistor. Plugged it in and turned on the key and right away the new one started heating up and got hot

DetMatt1

Reaction score
Start by checking how much voltage you're getting before and after and if it's too much start backtracking.

challenger6pak

Reaction score
It may be cheaper and less headaches to get a new harness. Much cheaper than replacing the car due to fire.

340challconvert

Reaction score
I was thinking the same thing. If the wiring is that compromised, probably better to replace it to prevent more serious damage.
Dino2 (1).gif

Jblake

Reaction score
Car is a 70, but has a 340 motor out of a 69 barracuda, with 727. Any idea where i can get a harness?

Donny

Reaction score
If you're not having the car media blasted, you are throwing good money away and you will not have a quality car, I promise you this.

Back