• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

70 challenger RTSE - wrong broadcast sheet???

fk5dave

Reaction score
so i was removing the interior in my 70 challenger RTSE, all original car, mostly not disturbed. i found the build sheet in the car but it was for a different challenger? seats all matched the interior, all complete interior, this is weird. the VIN sequence for the car is 137xxx and the broadcast sheet i found is 132xxx but both cars were built in the same plant. anyone ever had this happen before? so far i have checked under both back seat frames. and inside both bucket seat frames.

DrEamer

Reaction score
I have actually heard of this happening where the build sheet was placed in the wrong car. It happened to a friends aunt that has owned her T/A Challenger for close to 30 years and is the second owner. To the best of her knowledge, the interior is all original. When they went to get the build sheet, they found the same thing as you. They did however find the owner of the car that the sheet belonged to.

DetMatt1

Reaction score
This is actually a pretty common occurrence. As I understand it there were several copies of each sheet for every car and obviously no garbage can in the trim shop. The trim shop would get the order for the seats in the form of build sheets and as the seats were upholstered with the proper material the sheet got placed in the springs. The finished seats were placed in an area where the assembly line crew would grab them from. The line workers weren’t looking for the matching sheets in those seats, they were just grabbing ones that were the right color.

Cuda Hunter

Reaction score
very common.
Matt, that's the first time I have heard the seat grabbing situation. That makes a lot of sense. thanks for sharing that.

Reaction score
Yes I've seen that too, 70 Hemi Cuda original build sheet taped to the top of the glove box, a different one inside the passenger bucket seat, Cuda had 6000 miles on it when I got it in 1987 after sitting for 14 years.

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
It is very common as above have stated , possible that the seats were assembled with the sheets in them but when the car came by to install them they may have grabbed any sets of seats from where they were kept.

Cuda Hunter

Reaction score
But if you send him the broadcast sheet you found, please scan it and add it to the broadcast sheets page over on ebodies.org. Or post it up here before it's information is lost to us hobbiests.

carguy913

Reaction score
so i was removing the interior in my 70 challenger RTSE, all original car, mostly not disturbed. i found the build sheet in the car but it was for a different challenger? seats all matched the interior, all complete interior, this is weird. the VIN sequence for the car is 137xxx and the broadcast sheet i found is 132xxx but both cars were built in the same plant. anyone ever had this happen before? so far i have checked under both back seat frames. and inside both bucket seat frames.
Had a buddy with a lemon twist sport satellite ( 70) found 4 build sheets ( luckily one for is car. Gotta love tghe old school assembly lines...they didnt give a ****

Geo

Reaction score
My 69 dart has the original back seat and had a different broadcast sheet in it

JohnP

Reaction score
My 71 Cuda was brought in from the US and do not know the original vin number. The chap who built the car registered it in South Africa. I have tried to contact him to see if he knows the original vin number with no luck. Listening to what everyone is saying there should be a vin number on the seats or broadcast sheet. I must check to see what I can find.

DetMatt1

Reaction score
My 71 Cuda was brought in from the US and do not know the original vin number. The chap who built the car registered it in South Africa. I have tried to contact him to see if he knows the original vin number with no luck. Listening to what everyone is saying there should be a vin number on the seats or broadcast sheet. I must check to see what I can find.
The last 8 numbers of the VIN should be stamped on the top of the cowl in front of the windshield and on the radiator core support by the upper tank, both on the left/driver’s side here in the states. Let’s say your VIN is BS23N(1B123456) the part in the parentheses will be what you’re looking for.

JohnP

Reaction score
Thanks for the info. I have replaced the whole front end, Firewall, chassis rails, inner, outer fenders and radiator so not allot of original parts on the car.

Back