• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

70 challenger Tach "Back of gauge pic?"

wantonebadebody

Reaction score
Trying to get my tach working.
Found gray wire unhooked by coil and hooked up to negative
No such luck.
Noticed no wires on back of tach but found a gray with red stripe and a black female connector right near but nowhere to hook up.

Last edited:

MoparCarGuy

Reaction score
Lots of good info HERE for tachometer circuit card replacement.
Are you working on a Challenger or Barracuda? What year?

This is 1970 Barracuda Rallye wiring AND a picture of the back of the tachometer showing the Dark Blue T13-18DBL wire and the Gray with Red Tracer T11-18GY* wire. Some have GRY with BLK tracer.

Color Rallye Wiring 8-144 Barracuda.jpg
Color Rallye Wiring 8-145 Barracuda.jpg

Tachometer Rear Wiring DBL and GRY with RED or BLK Tracer.jpg

Last edited:

Juan Veldez

Reaction score
Trying to get my tach working.
Found gray wire unhooked by coil and hooked up to negative
No such luck.
Noticed no wires on back of tach but found a gray with red stripe and a black female connector right near but nowhere to hook up.
Tach.jpg
I have a 73 Chally and can offer this. There is a blue (power) wire and a grey with black strip wire on the tach. That grey/black wire does seem to route to the neg on the coil. Your power wire may be a different color because yours is a 70, but look for the 90 degree connector that fits on the threaded stud off the tach.

MoparCarGuy

Reaction score
I forgot to mention that the GRY with tracer wire goes through your bulkhead connector and out to the NEG side of the coil. I would check out the continuity through the bulkhead connector. The connections tend to get corroded and you may be losing the coil signal there. You can bypass the bulkhead and connect the engine-side GRY to the interior-side gray if you can find a spot to get through the firewall. Hopefully, with a grommet.

1662607942455.png
Bulkhead Wiring LABELED DIAGRAM.jpg

wantonebadebody

Reaction score
I forgot to mention that the GRY with tracer wire goes through your bulkhead connector and out to the NEG side of the coil. I would check out the continuity through the bulkhead connector. The connections tend to get corroded and you may be losing the coil signal there. You can bypass the bulkhead and connect the engine-side GRY to the interior-side gray if you can find a spot to get through the firewall. Hopefully, with a grommet.

View attachment 97607 View attachment 97608
I believe 7 and 8 is for my backup light switch on my 4 spd and the green & blue 4 and 3 are for my heater & AC that helps alot thx guys!

wantonebadebody

Reaction score
So this is what i found, the conections were pushed in.
Took apart found a loose brown wire and a loose yellow wire.
Can this be repaired ? Or is it fried
And which wire is hot and which is the neg coil?
Also almost burnt my car up my headlight switch wire ground out and melted.
Now i have to repair that.
Does anyone know where the headlight switch wore comes from? Is it from the solenoid relay by the battery?
089F3C10-94AF-47FC-9173-B5DF683C937F.jpeg

8ECD3F63-D643-414D-97D9-B1D92B93E9B3.jpeg

F5E8A15A-C3AB-4533-A074-73FC616DEB41.jpeg

F4784DEC-7C74-4D29-97F1-966BC646C029.jpeg

4E497026-C73D-4901-ABA7-CD9564D63818.jpeg

3A52A273-BA4E-4F74-9053-A3397A03700C.jpeg

Last edited:

MoparCarGuy

Reaction score
So this is what i found, the conections were pushed in.
Took apart found a loose brown wire and a loose yellow wire.
Can this be repaired ? Or is it fried
And which wire is hot and which is the neg coil?
Also almost burnt my car up my headlight switch wire ground out and melted.
Now i have to repair that.
Does anyone know where the headlight switch wore comes from? Is it from the solenoid relay by the battery?
View attachment 98049 View attachment 98050 View attachment 98051

View attachment 98052 View attachment 98053 View attachment 98054

Can this be repaired ? Or is it fried? It certainly looks fried.
And which wire is hot and which is the neg coil? Earlier pictures of the back of the gauge should show you where the harness wires attach. It is the copper post for NEG coil wire.

I would consider changing out the gauge electronics with a modern version. Contact Real Time Engineering (RTE) about your tachometer board replacement.
There are other threads about headlight switch repair or replacement. Search the forum.

Last edited:

MoparCarGuy

Reaction score
Check out this link: Article on tachometer fixes and upgrade.

It says,
"one stud is shorter, and copper plated—that’s the “signal” stud that goes to the ignition coil. The vehicle wire that attaches to this stud is typically grey, it’s also the one with the 1/4˝ Sta-Kon lug under its nut."

TACH Studs.jpg

Last edited:
Back