• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

70 Challenger wipers

busterone

Reaction score
I am trying to get the last part to work on a long restoration on my 70 Challenger SE. The wipers will only go one speed and will not park. I have good grounds. The thing I am confused about is did Mopar make a flat style 2 speed motor? Are all flat style motors three speeds? I hear that a two speed switch will not with a three speed motor. I have never seen a Challenger with a the style motor that comes straight out. The motor is rebuilt and I have an old stock new two speed switch #2947404. Could there be another issue or do I need a three speed switch? Any help would be greatly appriecated.

IMG_1483.JPG

DetMatt1

Reaction score
This is not my strong suit but they never made a 2 speed that looks like the 3 speed and you need a 3 speed switch with your motor.

Reaction score
All the "flat" or lay down style wiper motors are 3 speed. Some had variable speed switches but you must have the correct switch, if yours is a 2 speed switch that's likely your problem. I think most rally dashes had the three speed wiper motor, but there are lots of 2 speed or "upright" wiper motors out there on e bodies.
Ken

busterone

Reaction score
I am trying to get the last part to work on a long restoration on my 70 Challenger SE. The wipers will only go one speed and will not park. I have good grounds. The thing I am confused about is did Mopar make a flat style 2 speed motor? Are all flat style motors three speeds? I hear that a two speed switch will not with a three speed motor. I have never seen a Challenger with a the style motor that comes straight out. The motor is rebuilt and I have an old stock new two speed switch #2947404. Could there be another issue or do I need a three speed switch? Any help would be greatly appriecated.

View attachment 36949

Thanks for the info, now the question is do I buy a two speed motor or a three speed switch, because I understand the wiper control arms are different. How do I know which ones I have. I have read that they will burn up the motor if you use a three speed motor with two speed arms. Thanks again

DetMatt1

Reaction score
The lever attached to the back of the Motor should have a number stamped that'll identify it. When I did my conversion from 2 to 3 speed I was able to get pictures of what the different parts looked like from google images.

Reaction score
In your first post you say the wipers work, so you must have the correct linkage for the 3speed motor.
I m pretty sure the linkage that attaches to the wiper motor is totally different from 2 to 3 speed, I'd get a 3 speed switch. Detmatt1 is correct, look up the different parts. Do you know what wiper motor came with the car? Are you doing a swap?
Ken

busterone

Reaction score
I got a basket case, the control arms and three speed wiper motor with a two speed switch were on it.

DetMatt1

Reaction score
It's not difficult, I'd remove the parts and get an inventory of what you got. If the whole system is 3 spd except the switch then buy a switch.

Moparparts

Reaction score
Yes you will need a 3-speed switch for a 3-speed motor. The pivots and pivot connecting link are the same for a 2 or 3-speed. The drive link and the crank with pin on the motor are different from 2 to 3-speed. All you need to do is pull the motor (which BTW is an incorrect 73 motor) post some pics of the crank with pin and connectors to your linkage on your motor and show a pic of where the drive link connects to the motor and we will be able to tell you what pieces you have so you won't have to pull all the linkage out

ProSport

Reaction score
I'd like to add to this question if you don't mind. I got my 2 speed wipers to work on my '70 Challenger today. They don't park themselves when I turn the wipers off but I can easily turn them off in the park position myself. Is that normal or should they park themselves?

Also, should they park on the glass or on the stops that are on the stainless trim?
Seems weird that they would always be wiping across the stainless trim but they do look nicer parked lower like that.

ProSport

Reaction score
Ok thanks,, do they park on the glass or at the bottom of the stainless trim?

193rdsow

Reaction score
The picture you posted is a three speed wiper motor and it is correct for your ‘70 Challenger. If everything currently works, then you really shouldn’t need to change out anything other than install the 3 speed switch.

aussiemark

Reaction score
The picture you posted is a three speed wiper motor and it is correct for your ‘70 Challenger. If everything currently works, then you really shouldn’t need to change out anything other than install the 3 speed switch.
It is not correct it is a 1973 wiper motor it could have a smaller shaft unless it had the 5/16 shaft installed when it was rebuilt the correct wiper motor for a 1970 Challenger is part # 3431077 with the 5/16 shaft and the lever arm to connect it to the linkage is part # 2822289

Back