• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

70 Hemi Cuda Vert coming to Barrett Jackson in January

Status
Not open for further replies.

340challconvert

Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Contact seller
Rare Black on black hemi Cuda convertible to be on the block at Barrett Jackson (Scottsdale) in January!

Description

This HEMI 'Cuda convertible is one of only 18 built, making it one of the rarest and most desirable muscle cars of all time - further enhanced by its color combination of triple black. Adding to the significance is the great race history of this car. While owned by hall of famer Steve Bagwell and driven by hall of famer Terry Earwood, it set national records for ET and MPH in NHRA and IHRA, including the SS Eliminator title at the U.S. Nationals in Indy in 1973. Sold new in Marietta, GA, it was initially street-driven until repossessed. It was then purchased by the Bowers brothers and, with the help of friend Stewart Way, it was ultimately turned into a race car by Barnett Automotive in Georgia. It was raced as a '71 model because of a more favorable weight factor. After being purchased by Steve Bagwell, it received an expensive custom paint job and went on to be a national record holder and win 27 eliminators in '73 alone. Some time later it was sold and ultimately disappeared. As one of the great barn finds of all time, it was discovered high and dry in Taos, NM, in the '80s. A Phoenix attorney purchased it and over a period of years restored it. It has been in current ownership for about 15 years. Automatic transmission.

1970 PLYMOUTH HEMI 'CUDA - 201349- Barrett-Jackson Auction Company - World's Greatest Collector Car Auctions
This should be a big buck purchase if it sells!
Dino2 (1).gif

201349_Side_Profile_Web.png

jeff968

Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the extra 4 that have since been picked up are the "Export??" cars. You can never tell how many were exported. And at 7 figures of value, they are always able to find another :)

js29

Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
cuda # 1 standard dash cluster no luggage rack, cuda # 2 rally cluster and has A luggage rack. different cars.

340challconvert

Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I think the extra 4 that have since been picked up are the "Export??" cars. You can never tell how many were exported. And at 7 figures of value, they are always able to find another :)
Didn't the export cars have something on the fender tag indicating an export build?
Dino2 (1).gif

340challconvert

Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I sent an email to a contact at Barrett Jackson this morning regarding the listing number of 18 hemi cuda converts built and that records indicate that only 14 were made.
I'll be dammed but they changed the number to 14 in the listing when you click on the link.
If you look at my first post above, the text listing of 18 built was copied from their website this morning. Text remained the same except for the number.
Interesting.
Dino2 (1).gif

RzeroB

Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually, the generally accepted total number of 1970 HemiCuda 'verts built IS 18. 14 is the number built to U.S. specs (code Y05) on the build sheet / fender tag; 3 built to Canadian specs (code Y07) and only 1 for international export (code Y09).

There are 3 triple-black 1970 HemiCuda 'verts: the former Bagwell car owned by Phil Silva listed in the first post; the former John Herlitz (Chrysler designer who created the '70 Cuda) car now owned by The Brothers Collection who bought it at the Montery auction from Brett Torino; and a rarely seen, almost enigmatic, third one owned by a reclusive guy in Texas.

Last edited:

340challconvert

Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Actually, the generally accepted total number of 1970 HemiCuda 'verts built IS 18. 14 is the number built to U.S. specs (code Y05) on the build sheet / fender tag; 3 built to Canadian specs (code Y07) and only 1 for international export (code Y09).

There are 3 triple-black 1970 HemiCuda 'verts: the former Bagwell car owned by Phil Silva listed in the first post; the former John Herlitz (Chrysler designer who created the '70 Cuda) car now owned by The Brothers Collection who bought it at the Montery auction from Brett Torino; and a rarely seen, almost enigmatic, third one owned by a reclusive guy in Texas.
Thank you for the clarification

TC_Cuda

Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is great info. As I said in another post...you do learn something new everyday and, this is one of the reasons I like this site.
OH...and it is a beautiful car

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back