• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

70 Rear Trunk Floor Factory Holes

Bahboo

Reaction score
Attached pic shows several holes in the rear trunk floor of my 70 Chall R/T. I need help figuring out which holes are factory/stock and which holes are not so I can weld the non-factory/stock ones closed. Your wisdom/knowledge is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Rear Trunk Floor1.jpg

floyd

Reaction score
This is from the e-bodies Hole Locations link (Page 4) and a pic from my 70 Challenger (original floor pan).

D0C1CC39-ACAA-4942-8DD7-CF61CC6A89FA.jpeg

898D0E1A-5506-4BBD-A8F4-1315D15147F3.jpeg

floyd

Reaction score
You ain’t seen the last of him…

MoparCarGuy

Reaction score
1970 CHALLENGER:
These are the factory holes and sizes. The license plate light hole is further to the rear and is shown in the second picture of new Dynacorn sheetmetal.
The upper shock bolt access holes moved after 1970 (some say it changed during the 1971 model year and others say it changed for 1972).

Trunk Floor_70 Challenger_Hole Diameters & Plug Count.jpg

1702772783539.png

Bahboo

Reaction score
1970 CHALLENGER:
These are the factory holes and sizes. The license plate light hole is further to the rear and is shown in the second picture of new Dynacorn sheetmetal.
The upper shock bolt access holes moved after 1970 (some say it changed during the 1971 model year and others say it changed for 1972).

View attachment 116492

View attachment 116493
Thanks MoparCarGuy. This also confirms that I should only have one hole (license plate light, which I do have) for the rear trunk floor. Very much appreciate your pics and quick response!

MoparCarGuy

Reaction score
Thanks MoparCarGuy. This also confirms that I should only have one hole (license plate light, which I do have) for the rear trunk floor. Very much appreciate your pics and quick response!
The extra holes very well could be where the latch support structure was spot welded to the trunk floor. Did you remove the latch support structure or did somebody else?

I also found some good details showing other holes at the same area that are not part of the trunk floor pan. They appear to be caused by the removal of spot welds at the pan edge and the latch support structure.
Great pictures of 70 Challenger trunk replacement.
And some other trunk replacement pictures.

Last edited:

Bahboo

Reaction score
The extra holes very well could be where the latch support structure was spot welded to the trunk floor. Did you remove the latch support structure or did somebody else?

I also found some good details showing other holes at the same area that are not part of the trunk floor pan. They appear to be caused by the removal of spot welds at the pan edge and the latch support structure.
Great pictures of 70 Challenger trunk replacement.
And some other trunk replacement pictures.
I removed the latch support structure and am replacing it with an AMD repro. Unfortunately, the AMD repro doesn't have the factory threaded inserts for the trunk latch, just holes. So, I cut out the factory inserts and welded them into the repro latch structure. The tail panel and trunk latch structure got damaged (tree fall? IDK) and you can see the rust along the bottom, coupled with the bent-up latch structure itself. I'm trying to repair and use my original tail panel, as the factory flanges that meet the upper qtr panels are more uniform/accurate than the AMD repro tail panel. I also found out the lower portion of the AMD tail panel is shorter than the factory original by at least a half inch, causing original factory spot welds on the rear trunk floor flange to be exposed. Frustrating.

Rear Trunk Latch Structure.jpg

MoparCarGuy

Reaction score
I removed the latch support structure and am replacing it with an AMD repro. Unfortunately, the AMD repro doesn't have the factory threaded inserts for the trunk latch, just holes. So, I cut out the factory inserts and welded them into the repro latch structure. The tail panel and trunk latch structure got damaged (tree fall? IDK) and you can see the rust along the bottom, coupled with the bent-up latch structure itself. I'm trying to repair and use my original tail panel, as the factory flanges that meet the upper qtr panels are more uniform/accurate than the AMD repro tail panel. I also found out the lower portion of the AMD tail panel is shorter than the factory original by at least a half inch, causing original factory spot welds on the rear trunk floor flange to be exposed. Frustrating.

View attachment 116537
That is some nice work. Satisfying results make it all worth the effort.

Maybe AMD was allowing you to keep your factory spot welds intact and butt weld the entire width.

Bahboo

Reaction score
That is some nice work. Satisfying results make it all worth the effort.

Maybe AMD was allowing you to keep your factory spot welds intact and butt weld the entire width.
Thank you. I must disclose, however, that the pic you see of the AMD piece with the threaded inserts is before welding. Although I did some tack/butt welds on the front side, I spot/butt welded behind the threaded inserts as you won't see the welds when the structure is fully welded into its original position. It made grinding/smoothing a little easer on the front side, but I will need a little bit of filler to smooth everything out. Hardest part was ensuring accurate measuring/centering of the threaded inserts to the AMD piece. Cardboard templates helped some, but there was luck/guesswork involved. I bolted on my trunk latch and confirmed that it was centered to the AMD piece and had sufficient "wiggle room" to adjust the trunk latch as necessary. As for the tail panel, I think it was an oversight on AMD and they assumed that it was a straight line on the trunk floor from qtr to qtr when in fact the mid section of the trunk floor has a shallow dip in it. Could be from the damage I noted earlier (tree fall or whatever) but the shallow dip was equidistant/symmetrical. Kinda hard to explain. Attached pics show you the original tail panel and you can clearly see the damage on the right/passenger side. Other pic is without the tail panel and you can kinda see the "shallow dipping" around the mid section of the trunk floor.

70ChallRT_Rear View-Tail Lights.JPG

Tail Panel Removal.JPG

Back