• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

71 RT resurrection

340challconvert

Reaction score
Wow, that look great!
Wish you could hang out in my garage for a while.
Dino2 (1).gif

Last edited:

all original

Reaction score
HI
Keep up the good work, looks good. I'm not sure if you noticed but the rear foot pans have the front drain hole stamped backwards.
Mine were the same way and had to heat and reform them down.

gdrill

Reaction score
Thanx, I had not noticed that! I guess that will be on the agenda prior to install. What the heck! How did they do that?

gdrill

Reaction score
Today I welded in the rear cross member. Nice easy job for today. It's just welded to the frame for now. I want to wait until all the other parts are in before attaching it to the trunk pan.

IMG_3806.JPG

Last edited:

gdrill

Reaction score
I was playing around with the parts I bought and realized I didn't get the latch assembly with them. Fortunately the 73 car had it. My hood is mounted along with another fender I recently acquired. I now have 3 driver fenders and have to decide which is actually the best one to use. All have their own little quirks of course. I also learned there are a few differences between 70 and 71. The little cut out on a 71 is the first. I think it is for the grill somehow. Next was the hood rubber stops. On my 70 fenders it is behind the rad support whereas on the 71 fenders it is in front of it. I believe this to be correct as there are no alternative factory holes in either.

IMG_4100[1].JPG

IMG_4102[1].JPG

moparlee

Reaction score
........I also learned there are a few differences between 70 and 71. The little cut out on a 71 is the first. I think it is for the grill somehow. Next was the hood rubber stops. On my 70 fenders it is behind the rad support whereas on the 71 fenders it is in front of it. I believe this to be correct as there are no alternative factory holes in either.

Those cut outs are correct for a 71 but nothing attaches to them. Starting in 72 there is a grill bracket that fits into those slots. The factory must have been looking ahead to 72 and the re-design of the fenders and grill. The hood bumpers for the 71 are in front of the rad support.

gdrill

Reaction score
Thanx, good to know the real reasons behind all the details. I decided to clean up this fender. I was worried it would be rusted like the other I got with the car originally. Turns out it is rust free but has a repair in the front. I should be able to get it a little better than it is. Other than that it is in beautiful condition.

IMG_4103[1].JPG

IMG_4104[1].JPG

IMG_4105[1].JPG

IMG_4106[1].JPG

RUNCHARGER

Reaction score
That doesn't look bad at all. I would cut the front headlight bucket out and have at it. Make some patterns off the right fender to guide you as well as fitting a headlight surround to make sure it fits.

Sheldon

gdrill

Reaction score
I think that's what I'm going to do. It looks like the fender was repaired on the car originally not allowing access to the underside. I agree, with the bucket out it should clean up almost perfect.

gdrill

Reaction score
Well I got to work on the fender. I'm happy with my work but still not sure which fender I will use. It came out pretty good, considering all the work that was previously done. I had to fill holes and grind off brazing. It will require a skim coat of putty to finish, but definitely way less than before. The headlight pot turned out well too. Using the headlight surround is a great idea, as you cant tell how straight thing are without it. I'll reassemble it tomorrow.

IMG_4110[1].JPG

IMG_4117[2].JPG

IMG_4118[1].JPG

IMG_4108[1].JPG

IMG_4111[1].JPG

RUNCHARGER

Reaction score
Nice: It's silly I know but I try to use the parts that came with the car off the line when I can. No one else knows but somehow it makes me feel better.

Sheldon

gdrill

Reaction score
This is one of my other fenders, It is straight as can be but has a little rust. I figured I'd give it a little love. I have decided I actually like replacing steel. But it is time consuming.

IMG_4125[1].JPG

IMG_4126[1].JPG

IMG_4127[1].JPG

IMG_4128[1].JPG

IMG_4130[1].JPG

IMG_4131[1].JPG

IMG_4132[1].JPG

IMG_4133[1].JPG

IMG_4134[1].JPG

IMG_4135[1].JPG

Last edited:

gdrill

Reaction score
Thanx guys. I am going to save all 3 and decide which is best for my car. I have 2 - 70's and 1 - '71. Unfortunately the '71 is the worst off, but by no means are any of them junk, they are all quite nice. I'm gonna give them my best and see how they turn out.

gdrill

Reaction score
My passenger side leaf spring hanger mounting area was hit at sometime. The bottom was pushed back about an inch. I decided to take it a part and repair it. Then I cleaned up some more rust in the wheelhouse area. I have yet to do the other side the same. Once I complete these I should be able to install the pans. I think I can repair the inner wheel houses with the pans in, I just wont weld those edges. Man it will be a different car then.

IMG_4162.JPG
IMG_4155.JPG
IMG_4156.JPG
IMG_4157.JPG
IMG_4158.JPG
IMG_4159.JPG
IMG_4160.JPG
IMG_4161.JPG

Last edited:
Back