• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

727 headache

cudanewport

Reaction score
Hi all, I've been a long time Mopar owner, and now after almost 10 years away from my cars, I'm starting to dig in again.

The drivetrain slated for my Barracuda has been sidelined in another vehicle for many years now, and after many attempts to straighten out an issue, I am finally seeking help. You know, it's like pulling over and asking directions, just keep trying to figure it out yourself, but just getting more frustrated.

This 727 is giving me fits.

At cruising speed around town, 25-45mph, at very light throttle, the trans can't make up it's mind if it wants to be in third or second. Keeps hunting for what gear it should be in.

If I am moderetly on the gas, it stays steady in drive.

When I take my foot off the gas, it coasts fine, but when I put my foot back on the pedal, it will kick down to second, then shift back to third, than start going back and forth again.

This trans was rebuilt years ago, and has seen very little use, and started doing this a few months ago.

Prior to this, it had an issue where it would stay in third when I came to a stop. Worked ok if I put the shifter in 1 and shifted manually. Really awkward getting it moving in third with the 3000 stall converter that was in there. Had to shift by hand the few times I drive it until that problem went away.

Then the current problem arose.

I have adjusted the bands.

I have swapped out the valve body.

I have removed the governor and swapped out the pin,weight,etc.

Kickdown linkage adjustment works as it should, but has no effect on this problem.

Both of my valvebodies are modified using some specs I saw, throttle pressure and line pressures are adjusted higher.

Never had this problem in any of my other trans that had the same mods. Didn't have this problem in this one for years.

Running out of ideas.

Any trans guys seen this type of shift issue before?

Thanks for any help you can send my way.

challenger6pak

Reaction score
Sounds like it is sticking internally. I had one that was pretty much the same. I ran the Lucus tranmission cleaner through it. I emptied it and refilled it with one quart of 30 weight non detergent motor oil and the rest Dextron Two Trans fluid and it stopped acting up. I am not an expert on the transmissions. My guess is that the bands are sticking. It may be something else also.

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
I refuse to own an auto , they always frustrate me doing what they want & never what I want

moparleo

Reaction score
727 problem

:confused:If you are having this much trouble and it was rebuilt and has very low mileage since the rebuild, I would take the trans out and go to the local Torqueflite Dr. and have it disassembled and resealed. Should cost a couple hundred bucks and every thing will be back in adjustment. No more troubles. Not worth all the headaches for just a few dollars.:icon_scratch:

You can only guess so much at a diagnosis without having the car to drive or trans to look at. Like a Dr. giving a diagnosis over the phone.:eusa_think:

Last edited:
Back