• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

727 transmission rebuild

Ralph

Reaction score
I am looking to have someone rebuild the 727 trany in my 73 cuda.

Looking for an expert who is familiar with these older trany's.

I bought all the parts etc.

Located in central NJ zip 07726 near Old Bridge Raceway Park.

Any help would be appreciated.

thanks Ralph

moparleo

Reaction score
That is going to be difficult to find. Very few shops will install customer supplied parts. The reasons are many, here are a few.
First, what if the parts are wrong.?
Second, What if some parts are defective ?
Third, What if something is damaged during installation ?
Fourth, Nobody will give you a warranty for using customers parts.
Fifth, If there is a problem with the parts installation and it has to be done over again, the shop will charge you twice for the labor. When you just go to a good shop to have your transmission built, all responsibilities lie with the shop. If there is a problem with parts, they have recourse with the parts supplier, and you are only responsible for one labor charge. When you supply the parts, that means that you are totally responsible for the error and must pay for the shops time. In the long run you are better off spending a little more for the parts from the trans shop and not having to worry about the cost. Probably will end up cheaper. and includes a warranty.

azmoparboy

Reaction score
Hi Ralph, 7 years ago and over 5000 miles now, I took the advice of a friend. He said, " Steve, can you read a book and use simple hand tools?" So I got on the internet, found the book called Torqueflite A-727, Transmission Handbook. When I got the book I sat down and started to read. WOW could this be any easier! Now I don't know your background Ralph, but if you have an old car and keep it running, you have the skills to overhaul your 727. Hopefully your transmission is still shifting throw all of the gears and going into reverse.

My transmission was operating but I wanted to overhaul it before I installed it in my charger. I ordered a master overhaul kit from a guy on ebay. He helped me pick out the right kit for my 727. All of the 727's have a 1000 day calendar stamped on the passengers side of the case, he needed to know that because there is some differences in the earlier to later years. Other than having the right kit to overhaul my trany to start with this is all I needed to do the job. Basically, disassemble transmission, remove old parts, install new ones, and reassemble just as it came apart. I even installed a shift kit in the throttle body too and it works great. Take all of this in mind, this is only my 2 cents worth. Hope I have given you the courage to try something new. I had not ever overhauled a transmission before that. Good luck Ralph

Adam

Reaction score
I did the same thing; years ago I got a free 727 trans, but it needed to be rebuilt. The kit was only about $150 and claimed no special tools were needed. I figured what the hell, I might learn something and it's only $150.

I went through the trans per the directions and it worked out fine. Just stay organized, take digital pictures for reference, and keep everything clean.

Back