• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

73 Challenger Battery Trunk Relocation

cudadreamer

Reaction score
Hi Guy`s,
I bought and want to install a Summit Battery Relocation Kit (Sum-G1231-K)and Battery Disconnect Switch(Sum-G1432).Directions that came with kit kinda suck.I did some surfing and boy there are so many ideas people have (not mopar people)on how too do it.I need how to wire both(Battery and Switch)and where to run cables(inside or outside).At this time I don`t want to kill altenator.This is a street car .I do all work on car myself ,but this is a little different and out of my zone.Pictures of mounted Battery Box and Switch location options would be Awesome!
Heres a little about car.
360 426ci stroker,worked Eddy heads, Tunnel Ram with 2- 650 Holleys,727,8 3/4 4.30 Gear.Super Stock 3600 Leaf Springs.

Nevada Car.

Pictures of your set up would be Greatly Appreciated
Thanks
Alan

Last edited:

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
IS the kill switch for racing ? if so you have to disconnect the positive cable for street use it is easier to disconnect the negative cable . Typically I have used Welding cable , it has more load capability & is very flexable [thin multiple strand]with a thick coating . , I run the cables inside the car to protect them , I have run the negative battery cable up to the trans & bolted to one of the trans bolt for the best possible ground as well as a pigtail to the body . The best location for the battery is right rear behind the wheelwell to offset the driver weight , you can fabricate a braket to mount the switch near the battery I then route the + cable across the car behind the rear seat & up through the wiring channel under the sill plate & go through the firewall under the pedal area as close to the starter as possible . I solder the ends onto the cables using a propane torch .
No pix sorry

moparleo

Reaction score
If you want to run the cables under the car, you can protect them by running them inside of EMT conduit. Cheap and easy to bend. Buy the best, highest CCA rating battery you can get. There will be a percentage of lost current due to length of cables. As with any electrical connections, make sure to clean the contact areas and you can also get a spray on terminal protector to insulate the connections. Remember to always disconnect the ground first. And to connect the ground last.

Back