• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

74 Challenger, is it worth it? Need your Advice please!

ledman

Reaction score
this is the only picture I can find right now , I have better ones , I will see if I can find them
If you are seriously interested , the car is a 72 , rust free 318 car built into a 71 mostly , no R/T doors , more like the Super Bee but with r/t taillights & hood , 72 grille inserts still though ., GB5 blue paint base clear with epoxy primer . |rebuilt 440 maybe 600 miles on it , M1 singleplane intake Holley Carb , Alum rad , ceramic coated headers into 3" TTI x pipe exhaust , all new poly front bushings & Moog parts , Front & rear sway bars , Cordoba 11.75" brakes in front , New drive shaft , Lakewood blast shield , 11" McLeod clutch new , hyd clutch release , , rebuilt 833 4 spd with OD , very wide ratio , Pistol grip shifter , no console . Rebuilt 8 3/4 diff with new 10" drum brakes , Ralley guage pack with Tach , new dash pad , new carpet , new headliner , 15x7 police wheels , was going to upgrade to 17or 18" wheels & larger brakes , started to build the car for open road racing , never had the $$ the car is fast , it will idle at 75 MPH in OD , top speed theoretically at 6500 was 255 MPH , it would run 125 average speed all day long !!
This is definatly worth more than the asking price with more than x2 spent to get it this far !

Thanks for the pics man, it looks very clean and nice! I am loving the blue too!
Well, I am serious, but I have 2 issues, one, I do not have the money now, and 2, you mentioned the car is in Canada...so I would need extra money for shipping, inspections, export issues, etc... etc blah blah blah...like I said, I am saving my money up to buy a car, and I do not want to borrow money, or get a loan. I am trying to save at least $500 per month, so I am hoping by December of 2015 I can start seriously shopping for a Car. Will I have 25K by then? I highly doubt it, I set a goal to have at least 10K by then, and from what I have seen on the A body forum, I can pick up a nice Dart daily driver with a V8 for that kind of money, that won't be my DD though, just a weekend car, maybe drive it to work once in awhile to show it off.
We will see what happens when I get to that point, but for now, I wish you luck in your sale, as that Charger looks really nice, and a big block too...yeah, I wish I could but I can't right now man, thanks again for the pics!

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
I understand , the car was built in the US so it is just going home , no taxes or problems going into the US just out of the US / into Canada or Panama but there may be inspections in the state you live in . It just seems odd to me that you ask about buying a challenger for the same price if you cannot raise the funds but I also understand if you have you heart set on a Chall

Last edited:

ledman

Reaction score
Well, I am in the researching stage, I saw that car locally, and wanted your guys opinions, what to look for specifically, especially on a car with a engine swap. Sorry, I didnt' mean to mis-lead you.
I was at first researching just the A body, and what started it all, I was going to buy one from a guy I work with, he has a 68 Dart 2dr hardtop with the original 318 2bbl auto for $2500, it s a driver, but it needs allot of work, the motor and trans are tired, so I want something that is mostly finished, mainly the engine and trans rebuilt, but after looking around I thought why limit myself to just the A body, so I wanted to keep the doors open so to speak, on other MOPAR cars I may be able to obtain.

So with that said I am saving my money as we speak:)
IF you look back over the thread, I think I mentioned this a few times, maybe not, I am too lazy to go back and look lol

Last edited:

challenger6pak

Reaction score
I had the same problem with Moparts. I had to go back on as Challenger6pack instead of the Challenger6pak I use everywhere. My old user name (6pak) just sits idle there.
Long story , I lost my computer with all the original pix on it , I had to search my emails to find these that I had forwarded out to other people , I am now in Panama & the car is in western Canada , kind of hard to get fresh pix . If you are serious I can try to get new pix from my friend where the car is now stored . I am also happy to disclose any info on the car , I am not trying to rip anyone off but I cannot ship the car to Panama & cannot keep it .
Moparts showed me the door years ago , someone stole my user name there & no matter how many emails I sent no one would explain why I was locked out .

challenger6pak

Reaction score
I have 73 Charger. 71 - 74 Chargers are nice cars and people just don't seem to like them. They did when they were new. Especially the 73's. I can't tell you why they are orphins in the Mopar world.
I understand , the car was built in the US so it is just going home , no taxes or problems going into the US just out of the US / into Canada or Panama but there may be inspections in the state you live in . It just seems odd to me that you ask about buying a challenger for the same price if you cannot raise the funds but I also understand if you have you heart set on a Chall

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
I know you are saving $$ .
For advice you need to buy as much car as you can afford , in the long run it will save you a lot of $$ .
Buying a car like mine can save you 30 k over buying a basket case & building it yourself , too many people grab what they can afford right now instead of saving more & waiting , it always costs more & often the project gets abandoned long before it gets completed .

True , the 71 Charger has more in common with an E body than virtually any other car , they are so clean through the air , no turbulence or wind leaks from poorly sealing windows like the 68-70 but no one wants them , awesome cars with better ide & handling than the 68-70 , nicer interior IMO . I just don't get it , I love them , Pettys favorite car , but the best offer I have had on the car so far is 7k , I could part it out for more than that !!

ledman

Reaction score
I know you are saving $$ .
For advice you need to buy as much car as you can afford , in the long run it will save you a lot of $$ .
Buying a car like mine can save you 30 k over buying a basket case & building it yourself , too many people grab what they can afford right now instead of saving more & waiting , it always costs more & often the project gets abandoned long before it gets completed .

True , the 71 Charger has more in common with an E body than virtually any other car , they are so clean through the air , no turbulence or wind leaks from poorly sealing windows like the 68-70 but no one wants them , awesome cars with better ide & handling than the 68-70 , nicer interior IMO . I just don't get it , I love them , Pettys favorite car , but the best offer I have had on the car so far is 7k , I could part it out for more than that !!

I would like something like this...not sure if it's worth the asking price. It's hard to know without being able to actually see the car in person. I would have to pay someone to go inspect it and drive it and then I could make a better informed decision.
http://m.ebay.com/itm/181452688925

challenger6pak

Reaction score
A hood like yours just sold on Ebay for $2,000. It was a real sale that went over reserve. it's proof that it can be cheaper to buy a solid car than one that needs work. Parts can kill you in costs.

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
I know , the hoods are extremely expensive so are the R/T louvered doors , the front fenders alone would bring another 2 k being rust free & 10/10 condition , sell the whole car for 7 k when the paint alone cost close to 20 k I don' think so !!
I know exactly what it costs to fully restore a beater & generally 50k is entry level if the car is relatively complete & solid , add a lot more if all the sheet metal is bad & you have to search for missing parts like the hood !!
Spending more at the time of purchase to get a good car will save $1000s in the long run but everyone buys junk as a starting point because it is in the budget where the more complete or solid car is not , most of these projects never get finished & are sold off when people lose interest or cannot pull the finances together !
I guess I need to look deeper into importing the Charger to Panama & just enjoy it . the issue is they charge 25% tax on the value they assess to the car + shipping costs !
I also have a decent body for a 71 R/T 440 4spd dana track pack car that should get built as rare as they are but why if you cannot sell them ?

Last edited:
Back