• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

'74 challenger trans issue

challenger6pak

Reaction score
Here is a pic of the linkage. Click the pic to make it larger.

$(KGrHqIOKioE5dTWDpq(BOi4F)tzB!~~60_3.jpg

Last edited:

Iceman247

Reaction score
Alright guys here's where I'm at, 1974 360 bored .020 9:1 flat top's heads reworked and shaved with a purple cam .235/.474 holley 670 street avenger with a holley dominator intake. Not sure on how to set the timing with the vacuum advance. I think the initial timing I set with the most intake vacuum, correct? but then I'm not sure on the advance any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

moparleo

Reaction score
NO !! Initial timing is set with NO vacuum advance hooked up. Unplug vacuum line from the advance diaphragm on the distributor and put a plug in the line. This way there is no leak at the carburetor. Let the engine warm up to operating temperature. First set the timing at idle, which should be 850 rpm in drive, so be sure to have someone sit in the car with their foot firmly on the brake pedal and tires are blocked with tire chocks. Initial timing for a 4bbl. 74' 360 is 5 degrees btdc. After you set the timing you can reset the idle speed and check the timing again. Now these specs are going to be ballpark as there are no actual specs for a modified engine. Any increase in compression and and/or cam timing are going to have a large effect on the adjustments. This is also assuming that you are running an electronic ignition, Champion RN12Y spark plugs gapped between .035-.040 . What you want maximum vacuum is for the carburetor enrichment adjustments. These are done with a vacuum gauge connected to a manifold vacuum source on the intake manifold or carb base. Make sure it is not ported vacuum. Start with the left side screw, turn the screw slowly clockwise until the engine starts to stumble and then turn the screw counter clock wise slowly until the gauge reads the maximum amount of vacuum with the smoothest vacuum reading. Move to the other side and do the same thing. Now go back and readjust the side you did first, and repeat on the other side. When you have a steady needle reading with the max amount of vacuum on the gauge, you are done.

Last edited:
Back