• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

74 rear sway bar

jkling1974

Reaction score
Does no one make a exact replacement ? I’ve gotten two kits that said they’d work and they don’t . Well not without mods I don’t want to do . Mine was rotted and needed to be cut out . I can’t find new sway bars that Mount this way or even close to it

C3F786B1-9FDE-48F4-BB7D-85CF38234DB4.jpeg

F0C80981-9FA3-479F-B366-9C9C6888C915.png

4B0A47A7-F4B8-425E-8B5B-54C8F9298E9F.jpeg

55AB0D75-70AF-4811-932D-C12F5E9F4703.png

moparleo

Reaction score
Not really. Rear sway bars are a low demand item. The new sway bar kits fit many different models , the factory E-body sway bar fits only an E-body.
The aftermarket bars are more universal and also work better. Better materials and design as opposed to a 50 year old part.
You might be a youngster. There were no reproduction parts of any kind to speak of until very recently ( the last 20-30 years)
Before that, they were just old cars and there was no market to make parts. It was only after companies like Barret/Jackson and others pushed to price of these cars to stupid high price levels.
The bad thing was, now most guys could not afford anything in good condition. The good thing about that was people were now willing to pay a lot of money to restore these cars. That made the price of parts go up which made it profitable for companies to start making parts.
If you have to stay stock, just hit the swap meets and shop the internet for people upgrading their cars and selling the older stock stuff.

jkling1974

Reaction score
I remember 10 years ago even no one had parts for really any mopar . So answer is I can’t get an original . With stock mounting option

cuda joe

Reaction score
they were not meant to be replaced I cut out the spot welds with a spot weld cutter to remove the bushing then welded the holes up ground them clean then spot welded new prothane bushings in 2 spot welds on each end can;t remember what bushings i matched them up to

DaveBob

Reaction score
Does no one make a exact replacement ? I’ve gotten two kits that said they’d work and they don’t . Well not without mods I don’t want to do . Mine was rotted and needed to be cut out . I can’t find new sway bars that Mount this way or even close to it

View attachment 91823

View attachment 91824

View attachment 91825

View attachment 91826
The Firm Feel bar appears to be the closest to stock and is even the same diameter as the OEM bar. See photo. I got mine off a wrecked 74 Cuda in a junk yard in Longmont, Colorado, in the late 1970's or early 1980's. I paid $40 for it, bead blasted it at the machine shop where I worked, and primed and painted it with a rattle can. My Cuda did not come with a rear bar, perhaps because it was a little earlier in production, in October of 69. The OEM and FF designs are preferable over designs which attach the bar to the axle for aesthetics and minimizing unsprung weight. You may find your best deal on a car being parted out, even if the bar requires blasting and painting.
Rear Sway Bar Diameter.jpg

DaveBob

Reaction score

View attachment 91823

View attachment 91824

View attachment 91825

View attachment 91826
In my previous reply, I recommended the OEM part, since I thought you could beat the aftermarket part price. Quality wise, I have only heard good things about Firm Feel. However, from many other suppliers of reproduction parts, I have had mixed results, with issues such as inferior design, improper form or fit, substandard metallurgy, incorrect finish, etcetera. One of the first reproduction parts I bought was a battery tray from Year One, in the early 1980's, 40 years ago. It did not have the exact same form (shape, hole locations, etc.) as original and I returned it. Starting in the mid 1980's, Koller Dodge offered a catalog full of restoration parts. I bought a Cuda Elastomeric front bumper from Koller, which they said was made from the original mold. The substructure was a modified/cut down chrome bumper, but I kept it, since the fit and exterior appearance were acceptable.

SCHU

Reaction score
they were not meant to be replaced I cut out the spot welds with a spot weld cutter to remove the bushing then welded the holes up ground them clean then spot welded new prothane bushings in 2 spot welds on each end can;t remember what bushings i matched them up to
Yes to save some cash I did the same as cuda joe years before Firm Feel E-body rear bars were available. My sway bar itself was in ok condition. Back then I was able to reuse frame brackets, after disassembly wire wheeling and blasted at work, adding new bushings. Also I needed to clean up/ remove rust from my rear sway bar end link lower leaf spring mount brackets. As for parts, they were inexpensive, as I was able to match up /purchased new end links & bushings etc, from local Auto Zone parts store, very low cost. Years later when they became available, I purchased Firm Feel, only because mine were pitted.
If you are able to clean up/ reuse your upper frame and lower mounting brackets and you only need the bar itself, I have the rear sway bar hanging in my garage you can have for cheep, typical pitting but serviceable,( just the bar, don't have frame brackets ) . good luck SCHU.

Back