• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

904 Questions

JonC

Reaction score
Not getting information that I need in another site I decided to try it here. I have a 72 340 Cuda with a 1977 904. Last summer the snout of the torque converter failed. I now have a 1982 slant six transmission and took the 4 planetary set, low geart set and reverse drum, front pump and wanting to transplant it into my V8 904. What considerations should I be aware of? This is my first attempt at an automatic repair.

moparleo

Reaction score
Get a transmission manual. Your question is hard to answer completely, too many variables when we are not looking at the parts you are dealing with. Or go to a local tranmission shop and see hat they would charge you to just reassemble your parts. I imagine that there would probably be specifications that need to be meaured, torqued etc...

moper

Reaction score
I think all theparts will drop in, but you'll want to be very careful with the endplay and selective washer behind the pump.

moparleo

Reaction score
Is that the info you needed, or wanted? I don't understand how you could expect to do this repair without a service manual. I certainly couldn't. It's your dime but I would still say that you will money ahead going to a pro shop with your project. They have the knowledge and the tools. Wouldn't it be better to blame someone else for not fixing it right than to take advice from someone you don't know? You could be talking to a 15 year old or a 50 year old mechanic. Can't tell on a computer. But its your transmission. :dontknow: Good luck, really

moper

Reaction score
Is that the info you needed, or wanted? I don't understand how you could expect to do this repair without a service manual. I certainly couldn't. It's your dime but I would still say that you will money ahead going to a pro shop with your project. They have the knowledge and the tools. Wouldn't it be better to blame someone else for not fixing it right than to take advice from someone you don't know? You could be talking to a 15 year old or a 50 year old mechanic. Can't tell on a computer. But its your transmission. :dontknow: Good luck, really

Was this to the OP or me? In case there is doubt, I'm an ex ASE mechanic with 25+ yrs Mopar experience and I've been building and modifying torqueflites since 1988 or so. The OP asked for technical info, I supplied the relevant info. I assumed, based on Jon's post, (and perhaps wrongly, admittedly) he's got enough technical back ground to understand. He does have all the relevant parts plus he actually called them the right names and at least basically understands the differences in design and function if he's asking about chaning them.
The only technical part is measuring the endplay assuming all parts are from the same donor trans and they are not from any type of OD transmission. The spec for the input shaft and planetary gear train endplay can be found in the factory service manual as Leo mentions. There are some good books on torqueflites too, but for 904s the best place IMO for specs are the FSMs. A great source of info and parts should further be needed is John Cope at Cope Racing Transmissions.

JonC

Reaction score
Was this to the OP or me? In case there is doubt, I'm an ex ASE mechanic with 25+ yrs Mopar experience and I've been building and modifying torqueflites since 1988 or so. The OP asked for technical info, I supplied the relevant info. I assumed, based on Jon's post, (and perhaps wrongly, admittedly) he's got enough technical back ground to understand. He does have all the relevant parts plus he actually called them the right names and at least basically understands the differences in design and function if he's asking about chaning them.
The only technical part is measuring the endplay assuming all parts are from the same donor trans and they are not from any type of OD transmission. The spec for the input shaft and planetary gear train endplay can be found in the factory service manual as Leo mentions. There are some good books on torqueflites too, but for 904s the best place IMO for specs are the FSMs. A great source of info and parts should further be needed is John Cope at Cope Racing Transmissions.

Thanks Moper, I have it back together and I did have a manual and some advice from another forum plus a lot of utubes. I have at least .030 backlash and I'm ready to put it back in but was wondering if I am overlooking something. I have always been intimidated by an automatic transmission. I have rebuilt many small block and one big block Mopar engines and thought I would give an auto a try. I enjoy doing the work myself and it makes me feel good if it works. I'm retired and have all the tools. Thanks for the info.

moparleo

Reaction score
No disrespect personally intended. Just that I have found that whether it is at the retail counter or on the computer, we ( the old timers with an auto motive backround) tend to assume that the person asking the questions really understands what info he gets. I am also basing this on 35+ years in the autoservice field both as service tech and service/store manager. I respect and have always felt that if the ASE certification was that important to the tech, he was the kind of technician I that I wanted working for me. Pride in the job, something missing alot now a days. My intention was to maybe let the person asking for info, that it would be advantageos to also get information face to face with a shop. Easier to be able to show them physically what he may require to complete the repair or maybe would be too complex for the average guy. Electrical and automatic transmissions were not my strong areas of expertise. But I knew how to get the info that I needed. Never hurts to have the service manual no matter what you are try to accomplish. I did not know that the six cylinder 904 internals were the same dimensions as the LA 904 and would rather play it safe with some one elses money or parts. I think it might be good if the moderaters on this site had not only different threads like engine repair, suspension and f/e, electrical, brakes... and let them know, maybe with an area that would give the members a way to know who had the particular information based on the other members expertise and experience. Just a thought.

Back