• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

A727 - to rebuild or not to rebuild

challboy728

Reaction score
I have an A-727 transmission that has not been used in approx. 40 yrs. It has always been stored inside. It has also always had fluid in it. I would like members opinions on whether I should just change the filter and fluid or have someone go through the transmission. It is the original transmission from my Challenger T/A, and is going back in it.

DetMatt1

Reaction score
It's out of the car, now is the perfect time to have it inspected by a pro at the very least. The last thing I want to do after I install a trans is take it back out.

340challconvert

Reaction score
Good advice
Dino2 (1).gif

RUNCHARGER

Reaction score
It has to be resealed anyway, Might as well take it to someone that knows what they are doing and go through it.

Sheldon

challboy728

Reaction score
Thanks, guys! I kinda suspected that would be the way to go. Totally agree, I do not want to pull it back out once it is installed.

Adam

Reaction score
Yes, 40 year old seals probably quit sealing 30 years ago...

Actually, they are not that hard to rebuild if you are even a moderate mechanic... the only special tool needed is maybe a slide hammer to pull the front pump. Some say you need a spring compressor, but I was able to improvise something.

Get a good kit like this ($179) www.coperacingtrans.com/product_info.php?products_id=326&osCsid=hehswnign

And I would upgrade the valve body to something like the Cheetah Auto/Manual ($289): http://www.summitracing.com/parts/tac-17676/overview/

Also, deep sump pan, and better converter.

The rebuild kit should have instructions, and there are lots of good articles/videos/ books on the web. Keep everything clean, take your time, not that hard, and you will save a grand.

Last edited:

challboy728

Reaction score
Thanks again to all who posted. Since it is an original T/A (#'s matching), I am keeping pretty much everything stock. I do have a Mopar Performance shift improver kit that I may install.

Back