• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

aar rear sway bar

merkamp

Reaction score
Does anyone know where i can get a 1970 aar rear sway bar bushing. Or what to use to make one.

Max Wedge

Reaction score
I think Firm Feel's are similar - they have sold me piece parts in the past

MoparCarGuy

Reaction score
Getting the rear sway bar bushings installed is a pain.

Rear Sway Bar Bushing - Right (4).jpg

cuda joe

Reaction score
I drilled out those spot welds and matched up some bushings then re spot welded the bracket

MoparCarGuy

Reaction score
The Firm Feel setup uses a mount with threaded studs but otherwise similar.
Firm Feel setup pics below. Some have said the bracket fit to the framerail is not so good. I have not used this setup. As said, you can drill out the factory spot-welds, install the new bushings (rubber or polygraphite) and plug weld up the holes OR you can install carriage bolts using the factory brackets.
First two pictures are the Firm Feel setup.
The last two pictures are my factory brackets with stainless steel carriage bolts.

Firm Feel Bracket bad fit to framerail not tapered swayrear1.jpg
Rear Sway Bar with Dana 1.jpg

Rear Sway Bar (2).jpg
Rear Sway Bar - Driver Side.jpg

Max Wedge

Reaction score
Firm Feel setup pics below. Some have said the bracket fit to the framerail is not so good. I have not used this setup. As said, you can drill out the factory spot-welds, install the new bushings (rubber or polygraphite) and plug weld up the holes OR you can install carriage bolts using the factory brackets.
First two pictures are the Firm Feel setup.
The last two pictures are my factory brackets with stainless steel carriage bolts.

View attachment 99825 View attachment 99826

View attachment 99827 View attachment 99829
Yup: I have the FF setup for my 68 Charger. It fit well enough but rail profile varies a bit side to side so you may have to juggle things to get a fit that is both snug and level. It was impossible to get it exactly to where their instruction suggest a nominal location, but I got it very close.

The factory rear bar I put on my Challenger fit up without issue, but I had to adjust clearances around the P-brake cables and the 3" TTI exhaust.

If the OP's bushings are really shot, I'd see if FF would sell just the brackets. Their studs were pretty flat on the rail side.

Or, like you said, carriage bolts are a good solution, but you may have to grind the heads down to get a good fit.

Plug welding might roast the new bushings.

cuda joe

Reaction score
don;t plug weld that would burn the bushings spot weld them

EW1BH27

Reaction score
I'll be the second one to ask, what bushings did you use? Did Firm Feel sell you a couple?

cuda joe

Reaction score
I found the poly bushings on e bay bought ones that that fit the daimeter of my bar i think i split them to get them on the bar cut with a hack saw or something

MoparCarGuy

Reaction score
I used the PST polygraphite bushings. They come with a split to get them over the bar.

Back