• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

? about big block intake gaskets

Super-G

Reaction score
Hey guys, I have a 69 440 six pack in my 73 Challenger. My center carb was leaking fuel so I pulled all 3 carbs for a rebuild. At the same time I decided to pull off the Edelbrock aluminum 6 pack intake because it was stained with old fuel. I'm having it glass beaded and powdercoated before re-installing.

When I went online researching intake gaskets, I came across 2 types. It appears that the factory set up is the lightweight metal valley pan gasket. I'm familiar with this set up as Pontiac shares the same style of intake gasket and I've had 2 GTO's in the past.

I've also come across a traditional style intake gasket which is available as well. The notes on the traditional gasket set recommends using them ALONG with the valley pan especially when using an aluminum intake.

Any past experience or recommendations? Obviously I am going with the valley pan set but should I use the traditional set along with the valley pan or just be liberal with the RTV silicone??

As always any feedback is much appreciated!

74 challenger

Reaction score
never had a problem with the factory valley pan gasket in my 440 6 pack and i beat on it all the time.

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
I use the 1215 FelPro gasket , it blocks the heat crossover & includes the side gaskets too

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
there are thin paper gaskets that can be put between the pan & heads to stop any oil leaks , silicone will beak down around fuel so it is not recommended

Back