• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Another 318 question

73Barracuda

Reaction score
I just bought a 73 barracuda with I thought was a 318. However, looking at the carb I found a Carter AVS stamped 2004 / H9 4734S sitting on top of an intake marked 3462848.

I found the intake to be a 1970 ish 383 - 4bbl 750 CFM

I found the intake to be a 1970 ish 340 ci 4bbl

I was looking to add some upgrades in the future based on some of my reading done on this site, but I think the 750 is way to big for a 318 under any daily driver conditions.

The 340 intake I think is a good find. However, I would love your guys impute, is this intake a keeper or not. I have read some of your guys engine advice and hear you guys talking about intake angles to head angles. If I have a 340 intake, what heads should I be looking for?

I did also see that I have a 7 blade fan which was common of the Cuda's and sports models. Could I have a 340 transplant? How would I identify what engine it is?

The fender tags are all gone and the build sheet was destroyed under the dash...

Last edited:

RUNCHARGER

Reaction score
Those are good pieces and if the carb is in good shape I would use it and the intake for sure. It is really hard to beat the stock 340 intake for street use. The secondary air door on the carb is designed to be tuned for smooth operation and will work great on your engine.

Sheldon

moparlee

Reaction score
Look on the drivers side of block, you will see a 7 digit casting number followed then by the engine size. If says 340, you got a 340.

AUSTA

Reaction score
I just bought a 73 barracuda with I thought was a 318. However, looking at the carb I found a Carter AVS stamped 2004 / H9 4734S sitting on top of an intake marked 3462848.

I found the intake to be a 1970 ish 383 - 4bbl 750 CFM

I found the intake to be a 1970 ish 340 ci 4bbl

I was looking to add some upgrades in the future based on some of my reading done on this site, but I think the 750 is way to big for a 318 under any daily driver conditions.

The 340 intake I think is a good find. However, I would love your guys impute, is this intake a keeper or not. I have read some of your guys engine advice and hear you guys talking about intake angles to head angles. If I have a 340 intake, what heads should I be looking for?

I did also see that I have a 7 blade fan which was common of the Cuda's and sports models. Could I have a 340 transplant? How would I identify what engine it is?

The fender tags are all gone and the build sheet was destroyed under the dash...
Have a look on the drivers side of the block it will have the engine capacity cast in large letters just above the core plugs.

aussiemark

Reaction score
If the car has factory air conditioning or a tow package it may have came with the 7 blade fan on a 318. The 318 intake ports may be smaller then the 340 intake manifold ports so the air will hit the step on the way in and disturb the flow. It's ok when the cylinder head port is larger then the intake manifold port the airflow won't be interrupted but not vise versa. On the exhaust you can get the same situation if you fitted 318 exhaust manifolds to a 340 but if you fitted 340 exhaust manifolds to a 318 it would be ok. You could remove the heads (if they are 318 heads) and use a 340 gasket as a template and using a die grinder chamfer the ports to smooth the transition from large to small.

73Barracuda

Reaction score
Photos to come soon.
I looked under the car and I think it's stamped 318. When I have dual exhaust put on it I will get a better look.
It is an air conditioned package.
How do i identify which heads are on the engine? I understand the higher flowing intake meeting the lower flowing head is a bad thing. Next upgrade will probably be 302 heads, I needed to do more research though.

Eric Griffith

Reaction score
I am working on a similar project,for my 1970 Barracuda,318.
I have got a 69 340 intake from "challenger6pak",I got the stock Hipo exhaust correct for a 1970 340 Cuda,a 4v air cleaner, and am working on the head match.
Apparently, the best 4V head match for a 318 is the 4027596 heads,1.88 intake/160 exh.
These are 360 heads that were fitted to the Lil Red Express trucks,AND,80-85 318 Police cruisers with the 318.f my set
Fed ex dropped one of my set,Breaking it,and the replacement with the same casting number is not the same.
Working to get another set and get them machined to match.
I will probably get the Dual Exhaust system from one of the OEM places offering them,to fit my manifolds.
Your 302 heads do not have the larger valves,But they are Closed chamber heads.

73Barracuda

Reaction score
I'm am currently looking for a set of 302's. I would have them port/polished and worked to fit 360 valves - 2.02 and x.xx.

Even without flat deck pistons this should increase compression and HP quite a bit. I'm thinking of copying the 400 horsepower recipes found throughout the dodge forums.

Eric Griffith

Reaction score
If you use the 2.02 valves, be careful of the cylinder clearance.
I saw that in another thread.
May have to open it up a bit on that area for Block deck for clearance.

moper

Reaction score
If it were me, I would just install the standard 1.88 intake and 1.60 exhaust valves. The 302 is an ok head, but the 2.02s don't have enough port volume to really work well. The 1.88s allow the seat to be moved out to fresh material and will work very well with the std 318 port volume. You should not have any bore clearance issues on a 318 using the 2.02 valves - but IMO the 2.02s are just too much given the rest of the port upstream.

Back