• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Antifreeze Replacement After System Flush

money pit

Reaction score
I flushed my cooling system with a chemical flush. I've been running a number of plain water flushes (distilled water). The stuff thats coming out looks pretty bad. Once I get clear water coming out, Ill replace the water with a 50/50 mix of antifreeze. Besides draining the radiator, should I also drain the block? Normally I would just add the 50/50 mix to the radiator but because I was having so many cooling issues, I wanted to get the most protection for the cooling system. Thanks

Challenger RTA

Reaction score
Did you not just have your radiator rodded out? I think there would be a lot of loose debris all through out the cooling system. I myself would flush each component out separately with a garden hose.Heater core radiator then block. Just to see where most of it is.I would also back flush where I could.not to mention thermostat getting gunk ed up.

money pit

Reaction score
Did you not just have your radiator rodded out? I think there would be a lot of loose debris all through out the cooling system. I myself would flush each component out separately with a garden hose.Heater core radiator then block. Just to see where most of it is.I would also back flush where I could.not to mention thermostat getting gunk ed up.
I did a water flush before I had the radiator rodded out. I decided to do a chemical flush after I had the radiator done since there was still so much crap still in the system. I think I will do the same. Flush the heater and then the block. Thanks

moparleo

Reaction score
The flushes were not done with the thermostat installed and the radiator connected to the engine, Correct ? If not your radiator will now have debris in the core passages.
If the cooling system has gotten that much corrosion in it you need more than a flush. Flushes are part of regular maintenance, not to repair a plugged system.
Probably time for all coolant hoses, clamps, thermostat, belts and should check the soft plugs. Corrosion occurs from the inside out.

Back flushing will be done with a garden hose not bottles of water. Distilled water after you are done.

money pit

Reaction score
The flushes were not done with the thermostat installed and the radiator connected to the engine, Correct ? If not your radiator will now have debris in the core passages.
If the cooling system has gotten that much corrosion in it you need more than a flush. Flushes are part of regular maintenance, not to repair a plugged system.
Probably time for all coolant hoses, clamps, thermostat, belts and should check the soft plugs. Corrosion occurs from the inside out.

Back flushing will be done with a garden hose not bottles of water. Distilled water after you are done.
Correct, the thermostat and radiator were out. The engine has less than 1500 miles on it. The thermostat I just replaced, the hoses and belts are less than 6 months old. The engine was rebuilt about 2 yrs ago.

moparleo

Reaction score
Just wondered how it got so dirty/rusty if the engine was recently rebuilt and I am assuming the block was properly hot tanked which should have removed most of the rust, etc... in the water jackets.

money pit

Reaction score
Just wondered how it got so dirty/rusty if the engine was recently rebuilt and I am assuming the block was properly hot tanked which should have removed most of the rust, etc... in the water jackets.
I'm sure it was hot tanked. The company is a reputable builder. Thanks

Back